Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Still tired and sleepy
RE: Still tired and sleepy
drpjfitz,

Welcome to the hose head club.I know you mentioned your tested AHI was around 30 and your current is around 6. As several have said, this is a great improvement, especially seeing as you have not been on therapy for long.

Another number to look at or consider is therapy hours. How many hours you are on the machine. I have that although my AHI is around 2.5 - 3.p for a 7 and 30 day average, there are some mornings I feel like I haven't got any sleep at all. Most of the time, these are days I went to bed around midnight and got up at 5. Needless to say, I did not get enough sleep. Like many have said, there are a myriad of reasons why we may feel sleepy even though the machine said we had a good night's sleep. I have a recliner in the living room that is possessed by a sleep inducing spell especially on Sunday afternoons.

Keep up with the therapy, take good notes and questions with you when you see the doc, and happy zzzz - you will eventually see improvement.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm very good at advocating for myself in medical visits so that won't be a problem. It sounds like the biggest thing for me is to be as knowledgeable about my own experience with sleep apnea and the data on my CPAP.

I feel fairly ignorant and I would like to download the software mentioned. I have been afraid to take out the SD card prior to my appointment which is the only way I can "analyze" it through the software. I just didn't want to "lose" the data and don't know if I have to download the results and then "lose" that data, or whether it copies the data?

Pam
Post Reply Post Reply
It's ok Pam. When you take the card out of your machine be sure and lock it with the little switch on the side of the card. Then when you put it back in your machine be sure and unlock it. There is a problem with Windows 8.1 writing a file on the SDCard which then causes Resmed machines to have to reformat the card, but I have not heard of it being a problem with Respironics. But, setting the lock will keep your computer from having it's way with your files.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, sound advice from earlier.
Make notes of how you feel each day and don't be afraid to say to the doctor that you still feel tired.
Also if your mask is not a good fit or it leaks your AHIs will go up.
Always discuss it with the doctor if you feel tired or if you feel it creeping back after a few years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask leaks that are high enough that the machine can not maintain the required pressure may also interfere in the ability of the machine to detect apnea events. The upshot is that with large mask leaks the recorded AHI may be higher or lower than it actually is.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the great information, everyone. I tend to get anywhere from 7 1/2 to 9 hours--the longer times on the weekends. Even I've slept for 9 hours, I could easily take a nap.

As several of you have pointed out, I need to stick with this and hopefully feel better over time. The mask seems to be a good fit, but there have been times when I wake up because I hear a leak from the top of the mask. I sleep on my side which makes it more difficult with a full mask. But, I'm a mouth breather and the nasal pillows did not work for me.

BTW, my Respironics is a REMstar Pro C-flex+ and I have a heated humidifier and hose. Is there more info besides that to add to my profile?

Pam
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 08:11 PM)drpjfitz Wrote: But, I'm a mouth breather and the nasal pillows did not work for me.

Pam

Yep, I've heard that about a zillion times. Usually because I was the one saying it.

Can't use the pillows because I breath through my mouth... My nose doesn't work right.......... Yep, been there done that.

I will tell you that once I broke down and listened to good old (and I do mean old) Herb, and bought a P10 mask my life improved dramatically.

Not only can I breath through my nose, the air flow actually helps to keep the sinuses open all night.

I do have to use a chinstrap to keep my mouth from falling open, especially when I'm sleeping on my back, but that's ok. Some need it, some don't. Herb doesn't, but then Herb's kind of weird.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 08:25 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(09-22-2014, 08:11 PM)drpjfitz Wrote: But, I'm a mouth breather and the nasal pillows did not work for me.

Pam

Yep, I've heard that about a zillion times. Usually because I was the one saying it.

Can't use the pillows because I breath through my mouth... My nose doesn't work right.......... Yep, been there done that.

I will tell you that once I broke down and listened to good old (and I do mean old) Herb, and bought a P10 mask my life improved dramatically.

Not only can I breath through my nose, the air flow actually helps to keep the sinuses open all night.

I do have to use a chinstrap to keep my mouth from falling open, especially when I'm sleeping on my back, but that's ok. Some need it, some don't. Herb doesn't, but then Herb's kind of weird.

This!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm... Maybe I should check into a chin strap. The nasal pillows would definitely help reduce my sore nose from the mask pressing on the bridge of it. And maybe cut down on the marks on my face?

So, I gotta watch Herb, eh?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2014, 08:45 PM)drpjfitz Wrote: Hmm... Maybe I should check into a chin strap. The nasal pillows would definitely help reduce my sore nose from the mask pressing on the bridge of it. And maybe cut down on the marks on my face?

So, I gotta watch Herb, eh?

Yep... He's from Texas. You know how those Texans are.............
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 111 Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 220 04-16-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 468 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 286 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,406 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 282 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 182 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.