Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Still tired and sleepy
RE: Still tired and sleepy
(09-22-2014, 11:31 AM)drpjfitz Wrote: I am new to this forum and only been diagnosed/using CPAP for about a month. I've been fairly compliant with the CPAP but am still struggling with sleepiness and tiredness.

That can happen to some of us. We are so used to having sleep apnea that our minds have been trained to keep waking us up to breathe. It's a behavior learned from decades of untreated sleep apnea.

You can break the habit but only if you want to re-train your brain. Your brain has to be convinced that it's safe to sleep, and that you won't stop breathing as soon as you fall into a deep sleep.

Every time you sleep without the machine you reverse that training process and your brain says "See, I told you it wasn't safe to sleep."

It may be that you have no memory of these awakenings, but they are happening, they are disturbing your rest, interfering with your cognitive functions during the day, and making you feel tired. You have to make a commitment to being 100% compliant. Your life in on the line here. In addition to feeling lousy due to lack of sleep, you also run a much higher risk of heart disease, hypertension, and stroke.

Once you get past the compliance hurdle, the next thing is getting your leaks under control. Then, and only then, can you start worrying about your AHI.

Getting a comfortable mask will help with compliance and leaks, but only you can make that commitment to 100% compliance.

Quote:The information on the Respironics System One indicates an AHI of about 6. Woult this be enough to cause ongoing sleepiness?

The goal is to get it under 5, but it's not that big of a deal because as you adapt your AHI will naturally drop. If you were diagnosed with very severe apnea the doctor may be happy to see a AHI under 10, especially during the first month.

Good luck and by all means download your data and look at it. The more you know about it the better you'll be able to communicate with your doctor.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They are Texans............Bless their hearts.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster I have been 100% compliant the past year and close to that for 4 years.
My average AHI is 1.7 this past year. Original test was AHI = 83.
I am still tired and off to se a "doctor" in the morning chasing some answers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleepster. This forum is really helping to increase my motivation to be compliant. I've just got to stick with this and tweak things as I go along. Looking forward to seeing the sleep doctor tomorrow afternoon.

Bewilder----have they ruled out a Vitamin D deficiency? That was one of the dirt things treated for me before the sleep apnea was diagnosed.

Pam
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi drpjfitz,
I know this has been a bit of a strugle for you but, try like anything, to keep your mask on all night. Each time you tell yourself you can't sleep with this thing on, and you take your mask off, you send your brain a mixed message.
Now if your mask is uncomfortable, don't be shy about trying as many masks as you need to 'till you find the one that is right for you.
I hope this helps you and that you have a good apointment at your sleep doc.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not know about other sleep labs, but the one my hubby and I went to gives a free follow-up visit during the day time for a mask nap trial - trying different masks to see what works. Check to see if the lab you went to will do the same. Worst they can do is say no.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 223 2 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 39 5 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 66 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 180 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,977 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 180 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 136 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.