Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Strap causes folliculitis sores
Strap causes folliculitis sores
Hello. I've used CPAP for about 10 years now without ever a problem. But for the past 6 months, my strap causes folliculitis sores, which is an infection of the hair follicles, across the back of my head. They are rather uncomfortable, so I can only not use my CPAP for a couple weeks while they heal. Nothing I know of changed to cause the sores to begin. I use a ResMed S9 with a ResMed Mirage Quattro mask.

I always shower before bed. I've tried using a new strap and cleaning the back of my head with rubbing alcohol before I strap up, but I still get the sores the first night I go back to wearing the CPAP. I asked my doctor and he had no clue what to do.

I'm hoping with all of the decades of experience here that someone may have a solution so I can start wearing my CPAP mask again. Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Strap causes folliculitis sores
Can you wear a ball cap without the same thing happenin?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. I even wear a GoPro head strap that is nearly identical to the CPAP strap. I've tried washing my strap and wearing a new strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fotoguy4u,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not sure what would change to cause the problem you're having.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, hopefully, you can get back to using your mask and machine, soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2016, 02:57 PM)fotoguy4u Wrote: Yes. I even wear a GoPro head strap that is nearly identical to the CPAP strap. I've tried washing my strap and wearing a new strap.

Apparently over time youve become sensitive to something in the Resmed strap.
Couple of things you can try.
Wrap the strap a wrap of saran wrap to seal it covered with a layer or two of t shirt material or pillow case material. See if that stops the problem.

Or swith masks to another brand like a Fisher Paycal whose strap material and design is different.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try Neosporin ointment. Folliculitis is an infection of the hair follicle -- follicles that have been damaged. In this case the strap is probably causing a traction type force on the hair shaft.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Several great ideas that I'll try. Thank you to all who replied.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had the same problem with my straps causing folliculitis. I for many year rode motorcycles and have numerous DOO RAGS for wearing under my helmet. I have found that I can wear a cotton doo rag and it will still be comfortable and will prevent the folliculitis. Also a bandana works the same. Anything cotton.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 369 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,112 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,542 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Chin Strap for Full Face Mask? newtothis1 5 650 01-01-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: newtothis1
  Chin Strap or Cervical Collar with Nasal Pillows? Columbiabill 2 559 12-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.