Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Sudden change in symptoms... Help!
Sudden change in symptoms... Help!
Hi friends, I've been using an Autoset 10 for 3.5 months. I adjusted remarkably well and have had no issues, until a couple of weeks ago when I was having leaks, figured it was the cushion and replaced it, which seemed to fix it. 

However, two nights ago, I'm not sure I actually slept at all before 4 am... I was having CSA-like symptoms (never happened before) where it wasn't obstruction, but very shallow breathing which would then stop and wake me as soon as I dropped off. After 4 am there was some sleep. I don't have data from this night because I wasn't even aware of Oscar and the SD card option (thank God for the Interwebs and saving me from the DME). 

Last night I changed my pressure (because I also felt like I wasn't getting enough air?!) from 6-12 to 10-14. Results are here. I didn't have the CSA symptoms but was constantly waking again until 4 am (slept better from then until about 10). It felt like blockages, but the AHI score is so low?! There are RERA, could this be what's happening? Data is from this last night. 

I am so lost with all of this. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. I'm feeling like I did before I started therapy and am so confused.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden change in symptoms... Help!
Your sleep graph shows very fragmented sleep.  As you can see, a low AHI doesn't equal feeling great.  We try not to focus too much on numbers, but how you feel.

I would stick with the 10-14 pressure range for now, but add in EPR 3.  The addition of EPR will help with the Rera's, Hypopnea, and Flow Limitation, and it should be more comfortable when exhaling.

Also, if you're using the ramp feature, turn it off.  Hopefully, these changes will keep your pressure from going up and down so much.

Watch your leak rate.  You didn't include the leak graph, so it's hard to comment on it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

When you repost, please use the F12 key (on a Mac, Fn+F12) Standard View
to take your Screenshot.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Left sidebar shows 17% of the night in large leak territory. While not as awful as 30-40%, the large leaks should be addressed. See wiki.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there, 

Thank you for your response!  The leaks are definitely a thing at this new higher pressure; my mask has to be quite tight or it leaks. I tried the EPR, but was experiencing fluttering/snapping/clicking inside the mask with this setting? I don't know what else to call it XD

I'm sleeping more but still snoring at times. I wake up at the smallest snore. And it feels like my airway even wants to close during the day. 

Is it common to experience such a dramatic shift in pressure requirements/sleep quality overnight? I had been sleeping well for months minus some mask issues.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2022, 06:47 PM)klavierchic Wrote: Last night I changed my pressure (because I also felt like I wasn't getting enough air?!) from 6-12 to 10-14. Results are here. I didn't have the CSA symptoms but was constantly waking again until 4 am (slept better from then until about 10). It felt like blockages, but the AHI score is so low?! There are RERA, could this be what's happening? Data is from this last night. 

The quote above is from your first post.

Comparing your charts, it doesn't appear that the pressure change you made from 6-12 to 10-14 made a difference in your sleep quality.

I suggested to go ahead and try the 10-14, but with the addition of EPR.  Your charts don't reflect the use of EPR, which I think is needed.

You said you tried EPR, but experienced fluttering/snapping/clicking inside the mask.  I don't see that using EPR would cause that.  

Besides having issues with your mask fitting properly, you may be experiencing rainout.
Is your humidity set high?  

You said you had been sleeping well for months minus some mask issues.  Are you able to post a couple charts from that time period so that we can compare to your current charts?
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the response! 

I will give EPR another go. 

I don’t think I’m experiencing rainout… humidity is set at 1. No wetness except for the odd drooling that happens from this mouth breather…

I’m new to Oscar and have no charts except from a few days ago as I didn’t even know there was an SD card option. That said, the AHI levels have all been under 1 except for the night before I started the SD data (from what I could see on the very limited ResMed Air app), when they went over 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
At EPR 3 I have experienced some pulsing in the mask back when I used a full face mask. I did tighten my straps a little to make it stop - although I mostly just got used to it over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
klavierchic,
Try EPR 2 instead of 3. Let us know if you still notice the mask fluttering/snapping/clicking sounds.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again,

I went to go look at my data from last night only to realize I had left the SD card in my computer…  Rolleyes

Bad night last night. Seems like I can’t get enough pressure, no matter what the settings are. I’m actually wondering if positional apnea is happening?! I’ve ordered a cervical collar bc I’m desperate. I do notice a difference in awake breathing if I tilt my head back. I have a comically short neck…

Can the Oscar data indicate positional apnea?

Somewhat unrelatedly, is it possible to turn off the data being sent to the DME? And keep clinical settings as the default?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again, 

So last night I used a soft cervical collar for half the night until I couldn't stand it anymore (super uncomfortable and skin irritating), and I did sleep better. The second half I used a travel pillow turned backwards to prevent the chin tilt - less effective but far more comfortable until other options arrive. 

I do find though that I'm still waking up gasping and having snoring, despite the AHI being at zero. Does the machine not detect all of them? Is it possible there's a malfunction? It's only three months old, but how would I tell? Despite the set pressure being nearly double what I started with (6-12 for first three months), it feels like not enough pressure... which is why I turned EPR off, because it felt less supportive. I have recently changed mask cushion and just switched out the tubing last night, just in case. 

Also... is the tidal volume normal?

Any theories on why these drastic changes in therapy requirements have developed so quickly would be appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 218 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 101 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 121 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 368 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,958 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.