Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Symptoms?
Symptoms?
Hi all,
New to this forum. I was recently diagnosed with mild apnea but the doctor thinks it may be a little more than what the report says since it was a home study. She prescribed me an apap and all the gizmos that go with it. I'm just waiting for the supplier and insurance to work their magic. 

I was just wondering if anyone has had any oddball symptoms that are usually not listed along with the standard symptoms. I have had some daytime shortness of breath and get winded with exertion. I understand I'm not the picture of health but it seems more pronounced. I also get heart palpitations and skipped beats. I've had a full pulmonary function test which the Dr said everything was at or above normal. I've also seen a cardiologist and had an EKG and an echo cardiogram which only showed mild heart thickening due to high blood pressure that I have under control with medication. I also suffer from panic and anxiety disorders which have been pretty bad lately. 

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Symptoms?
It’s great that you’ve had your heart and lungs checked, with a basically clean bill of health. You mention panic and anxiety, which can result in shortness of breath, and you mention your general level of fitness, which could account for feeling winded. I don’t know whether complaints like yours would be directly addressed by CPAP, but when you treat your apnea, you protect your heart and brain against future risks, and you may experience greater well-being during the day. Sometimes after using CPAP for a while, people find that it’s easier to lose weight and exercise more. Or not—everyone’s different.

If you feel like it, post again when you’ve gotten your gear and are starting to use it. One little trick I’ll mention now is to first use the mask and machine during the day, while you’re doing something you like, e.g., watching TV or reading. That helps you get used to the new experience without also trying to fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. I can't comment on your symptoms but can tell you you've come to the right place to get help with CPAP therapy. It's critical to understand how to deal with a durable medical equipment supplier (DME). They don't all provide good service or put your needs foremost. It's also critical that you get the right machine. Insurance pays the DME the same amount for a basic machine with few features as for a full feature machine that will better suit your needs. Read the following link and come back with any questions you may have. We will help you get off to as good a start as possible.

New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You are not alone with your symptoms. My only symptom was not sleeping at night and what I thought was heart palpitations. Several heart tests later, the Dr. said I was fine. Now I sleep much better and heart palpitations are much reduced.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your responses. I will post updates once I get my gear. My doctor did prescribe a Resmed with the attached humidifier on it. I'm not sure of the model.
Post Reply Post Reply
Blombo,

Be sure your doctor is prescribing the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.  
It would be a good idea to check with your doctor to be sure, and ask for a copy of the perscription.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
as above "ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet." only I'd add to get the for her model, it has the standard as well as another algorithm.
go back to the doctor and get the script rewritten if needed.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Did the assessment of your cardio health include your having to wear a Holter Monitor for 24 hours?  This might have shown that you have the occasional arrhythmia such as tachycardia or atrial fibrillation (the latter being what showed up with me unexpectedly and which ultimately led to a diagnosis of severe apnea).  

All tests were negative for me, including the radioactive dye MIBI treadmill test, an echo-cardiogram, and a Doppler ultrasound of my carotid arteries.  I was asymptomatic, but the sleep lab showed I was a sick puppy. The Holter Monitor will show if you have what you think is anxiety, but is really a type of physiological reaction to a 'skippy' heart, or a heart that breaks into arrhythmia under the duress imposed by vivid dreams.  However, if you were wired for cardio during your somnography, and it showed nothing, maybe it obviated the need for further cardio assessment, especially the Holter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't have a holter done. I had home sleep study done so it was only testing for apnea. My highest heart rate was 93 while asleep. My last treadmill test was almost a year ago and it was normal but it was just a standard stress test, no dye. My echo cardiogram was just done and it was normal. I was in and out of the ER 3 times between January and March but tests came back normal. My blood tests are normal except for vitamin D deficiency.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 490 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  some improvement but still having symptoms her.suit 1 245 01-04-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  6+ of CPAP, but symptoms are coming back for some reason terrytorres 7 638 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.