Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] The tip of my nose is sensitive using the Amara View mask
RE: The tip of my nose is sensitive using the Amara View mask
I'm only into a couple of weeks of use with the Amara View. I wrote an opinion of the mask under the topic of Mask Reviews at the top. I had a sore tip of the nose the next morning of the first and second night, but have not had a problem since. Nearly leak-free, stays put when shifting from one side to the other, and no red or sore spot on the bridge of my nose or on my forehead, as was with the Mirage Quattro in the mornings.. Good mask so far IMHO
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Update I tried a dab of Vaseline on the tip of my nose and that did not help. Tried pieces of medical tape and they did not work. So last night tried a small piece of cotton inside the mask and too early to tell but seems promising.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2016, 12:17 PM)WGSHJR Wrote: Update I tried a dab of Vaseline on the tip of my nose and that did not help. Tried pieces of medical tape and they did not work. So last night tried a small piece of cotton inside the mask and too early to tell but seems promising.

Updating my own post that the cotton didn't work either so tried loosening the mask straps and adjusting the cloth liner more over my nose tip and that didn't work either and I went from less than one ahi per hour to 1.6 and developed a pimple on my nose ! So am at a loss!
Post Reply Post Reply
Rousseau21 - I went through this exact problem, I even developed the pimple on the end of my nose described by others. But there are so many benefits with this mask you have to keep at it. It has the benefits / feel of a nasal mask with the safety that those of us with a mouth that tends to drop open now and then need. And you do not need to wear a chin strap.
Anyway, over time I did as described, I let the mask float and this certainly solved the problem. Then I started getting leaks so I dealt with it by tightening the lower chin straps and playing with the tension on the upper straps. It took time to get the right adjustments but I can now feel when I have it right. It is snug to tight around the bottom of the mouth and chin but I can hardly feel it on my nose. I have has zero leeks for nearly two weeks and my nose is never sore any more.
Keep with it. The mask is worth it.
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Amara View mask and it is the only mask I have used as I am today in day 86 of APAP therapy,

I developed a sore on my nose in the first few days of therapy. I applied Vaseline to the sore before putting on the mask at night and it healed in a couple of days. I did this to a second sore and had the same results.

Then I realized that there is a sweat spot on the mask tension, If it is tight in the upward direction and I get nose sores, to loose and I get leaks. I also found I get blow out around the nose on the high end around 15.8

I don't know if anyone has had success with this mask at high pressure. Maybe a bigger nose would help. Dielaughing

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2016, 09:58 AM)DonC Wrote: Rousseau21 - I went through this exact problem, I even developed the pimple on the end of my nose described by others. But there are so many benefits with this mask you have to keep at it. It has the benefits / feel of a nasal mask with the safety that those of us with a mouth that tends to drop open now and then need. And you do not need to wear a chin strap.
Anyway, over time I did as described, I let the mask float and this certainly solved the problem. Then I started getting leaks so I dealt with it by tightening the lower chin straps and playing with the tension on the upper straps. It took time to get the right adjustments but I can now feel when I have it right. It is snug to tight around the bottom of the mouth and chin but I can hardly feel it on my nose. I have has zero leeks for nearly two weeks and my nose is never sore any more.
Keep with it. The mask is worth it.
Don
I have now tried a new solution in that I cut a small square patch from a sleeveless undershirt and use a small piece of medical tape to secure. After one night I had no pimple any more but still had a red mark that was more so across the top of my nose that indicates irritation but it went away after a short time so I will continue to experiment with this as I have no other choice. Last night per Air Sense report I had just a .1 per hour AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2016, 12:52 PM)Rousseau21 Wrote: Hi,

I want to know if there is somebody else that had a sensitive nose after starting to use the Amara View mask.

I started using it the 28th of January. It's my third different mask tryout and it's definitely the most comfortable. My sensitive nose is the only bad thing about it but it's definitely not a show stopper.

I just want to see if somebody can give me a trick to maybe fix that little issue.

Thanks for your feedback!
I've been using this mask for a year. I cut u shape liners out of cotton and wash my mask everyday. I also wonder if you need to go up a size in your cushion! It is worth a try!
Post Reply Post Reply
Update I have finally found a fix. I am now cutting a piece of a sleeveless undershirt that covers the top of both nostrils and slightly overlaps the tip of my nose and taping on. It is sort of in the shape of a triangle with a square bottom and it goes point facing down towards tip of nose. Have had no redness or pimples using this solution !
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks you all for your feedback !

After 3 months of usage I still have the tip of my nose sensitive but I really like this mask so I keep using it.

Hopefully I'll get use to it !

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WGSHJR! Can you take a picture of what it looks like? The end of my nose is red with pimples!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 197 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,980 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 355 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 649 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.