Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Vertigo
Vertigo
During the 4 years on APAP I have suffered from vertigo type symptoms 3 times. I think I know what caused them, Strenuous work in odd positions, like standing on my head under the sink changing a faucet. The vertigo symptoms did not start immediately but only after sleeping with my APAP. It takes 2 or 3 days to fully recover but the symptoms are worse after waking up, then subside throughout the day. 

The question is:
Does the APAP aggravate the situation or maybe just lying down?

Possible solutions:
1. Not use the cpap for 24 hours after the project. 
2. Do the project in the morning and not take my afternoon nap. 
3. Stop doing the suspected activities. 

I know there are passageways that connects the ears to the nasal passageway. But maybe there is no relationship between vertigo and the use of CPAP. 

I would like to hear from others on this.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Vertigo
My wife suffers from it, and has now for quite some time. She does not have SA. She's seen doctors about it and they haven't been able to help all that much. 

She does have and use a medication for it, but I don't know what it is. Shes'only 5-05 tall and weighs about 100 lbs. 

Her's comes and goes, and can last a full day, if not a day or two. It can vary as to it's degree of severity.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been a long time sufferer of vertigo (~20 years), but I had it long before I started APAP. I have not noticed my APAP causing any issues with my vertigo, but it may just be me.

Have a search for "Epley maneuver" which works for many people who suffer from vertigo. Mine is caused from damage to my inner ear so the maneuver was not effective, but it may work for you.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Epley maneuver worked for me. I had some serious vertigo last summer after a few too many bumps to the head. Several therapy sessions & I was as good as new.
Post Reply Post Reply
My internist tried the Epley maneuver when I was having a recurrent vertigo and it definitely helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't get vertigo from CPAP, but I have definitely experienced ear & sinus problems from CPAP. I found the solution to my ear & sinus issues was to lower - or actually turn off - the EPR. For me, the pressure changes with every breath was too much for my ears to be able to handle.

So if you're at a loss, perhaps try adjusting your exhale pressure relief settings.

(Not medical advice. Just my experience.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting, a few months ago I changed EPR from 2 to 3. I might try changing it back.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the EPR connection. It would be odd for you to have vertigo so long after doing something then using the CPAP. Except the CPAP would increase ear pressure and cause the crystals (which is probably your issue) to shift since bending over cause them to loosen and/or shift.

I would suggest taking your blood pressure after standing back upright but with it taking time between that and the vertigo, I don't think positional something-something (POTS) would be in play here.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Hydrangea and Paula02. I think you are on to something. As I remember I would regularly wake up a little wobbly but I dismissed it to my age. I would be fine by the time I get to the bathroom. Also my sinuses have been acting up and not like allergies or head cold. 

I dropped the EPR from 3 to 2 and noticed a big improvement in both conditions. I know 2 days doesn’t make a solution but I am encouraged. I also dug more stumps and with no ill effects. 

If this improvement continues, I will drop it another point. It may not totally solve the problem but it seems to improve it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you keep a journal? You should consider it during this investigative period. That way the days don't get mixed up. Yeah, the data will tell you when you made the changes but has no clue how you FEEL and what you did that day.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone Experienced Vertigo The Morning After? Dick55 11 1,534 05-02-2022, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ellenos
  Vertigo/CPAP Pressure Update- CPAP causing inner ear problems SuperSleeper 73 96,369 03-29-2020, 09:07 AM
Last Post: bfclansing
  ear and vertigo problems with cpap? mattm1 7 4,518 02-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Last Post: fgiagiari
  Cpap and vertigo rich2905 14 4,547 10-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Beej

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.