Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Waking up at 2am daily
Waking up at 2am daily
Hello,
I have had mixed sleep apnea since 2005. I was diagnosed after going into atrial fib during the night.
I use my cpap faithfully. The last 6 months, however, I have been waking up after 3-4 hours of sleep. This happens wherever we happen to be, home, vacation, etc. It doesnt matter what time I go to bed. I even bought a new machine a couple of months ago. There is no indication of increased apnea.
I am wide awake and get up for the day.
I am on medications for atrial fib and nothing new has been added. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up at 2am daily
(03-15-2014, 01:29 PM)kdvrn1976 Wrote: I have had mixed sleep apnea since 2005. I was diagnosed after going into atrial fib during the night. I use my cpap faithfully. The last 6 months, however, I have been waking up after 3-4 hours of sleep. This happens wherever we happen to be, home, vacation, etc. It doesnt matter what time I go to bed. I even bought a new machine a couple of months ago. There is no indication of increased apnea.

Is there any data/software that will allow you to look at your numbers to quantify your AHI/CA & OA events?

It has happened to me every night for the past 8 months. Can't shake it. I'd love to hookup at oximeter to see if it's anything to do with oxygen drops. (Looking at the Contec CMS 50 units because they do seem to have some tiny integration with Sleepyhead.)

You mentioned "mixed apnea". Researching your machine, is it an auto CPAP machine or an SV machine (which is supposed to be better able to handle mixed/complex/CSA)?
Post Reply Post Reply
Waking up feeling great after a few hours is not unusual. In fact it's kind of nice. Being wide awake and getting up for the day? Well, unless those three little kids are jumping up and down on your bed, finding a way to go back to sleep would be a good idea. In my case I find playing a little spider solitaire on my computer will do the trick. If you cannot get it done any other way, talk to your docs and see what they can suggest to help you relax and doze off, without making you rummy the next day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kdvrn1976,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You say you just bought a new machine sometime back, what was the brand of machine you had prior to your new machine?
Edit: The reason I'm asking is, I'm not sure that the machine you mention in your profile treats mixed apnea. Hang in there for more answers to your question. End edit.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on what you posted - sounds like you're done sleeping then? Or, are you tired later on? If you are saying that 3-4hrs of sleep is all you need, then there's no real issue, other than what to do with all the extra free time you have?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2014, 01:29 PM)kdvrn1976 Wrote: I use my cpap faithfully. The last 6 months, however, I have been waking up after 3-4 hours of sleep.
How you feel in terms of daytime functioning
Not everything CPAP related, talk to your sleep doc, something might has changed or/and need changing
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2014, 01:40 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote:
(03-15-2014, 01:29 PM)kdvrn1976 Wrote: I have had mixed sleep apnea since 2005. I was diagnosed after going into atrial fib during the night. I use my cpap faithfully. The last 6 months, however, I have been waking up after 3-4 hours of sleep. This happens wherever we happen to be, home, vacation, etc. It doesnt matter what time I go to bed. I even bought a new machine a couple of months ago. There is no indication of increased apnea.

Is there any data/software that will allow you to look at your numbers to quantify your AHI/CA & OA events?

It has happened to me every night for the past 8 months. Can't shake it. I'd love to hookup at oximeter to see if it's anything to do with oxygen drops. (Looking at the Contec CMS 50 units because they do seem to have some tiny integration with Sleepyhead.)

You mentioned "mixed apnea". Researching your machine, is it an auto CPAP machine or an SV machine (which is supposed to be better able to handle mixed/complex/CSA)?

Hello, thank you for your reply. I bought a pulse ox, a wrist model which you can print out the night activities. I wore it for a week and there were no dips in oxygen level. My heart rate did drop to the 30's some nights but not consistently.
My CPAP is now set to auto CPAP.
I didn't mention, I had a third mild stroke around the time this started happening. Don't know if it is related. I am on blood thinners too.
I make the most of my time when I wake up. I don't lay in bed and try to fall asleep. Thank you again
Post Reply Post Reply
Alcohol use can cause this. Sometimes even just a glass of wine
too close to bedtime. Daily use exacerbates this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Zonk, you definitely need to bring this up with your doc - either the sleep doc or the one treating you for your stroke(s). It sounds like there is something else going on that only a medical professional can tell.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was having same problem.I heard about taking melatonin.It's work's.I've been sleeping thru the night now 7-8 hour's.Your body produce's this.I order'd thru Puridan Pride.I order'd&taking 10 mg.Prob. to much.I prob need to drop to a lower dosage.But it does work.Read&do your homework on this.Great product
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 108 3 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.