Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Why do some people desat during...
Why do some people desat during...
Why do some people, like me, seem to desaturate during REM sleep?
REM is not the deepest sleep phase. Stage 4 delta wave sleep is the deepest sleep (which I never get into.)

Is my brain so active with the dream that it forgets to breathe?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why do some people desat during...
There are a many reasons for oxygen desaturation. COPD is cited often, but, again, there are many other suspected causes. I know of nothing specific to REM.
There is lots of information on this subject if you do a search, however, much of it is very technical.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why do some people desat during...
Do the desats coincide with Apneas or Hypopneas (desat would likely trail As or Hs)? If so, what are the durations of As or Hs? What's the flow chart look like? Does it look like obstructions aren't being overcome properly?

That Delta Wave sleep is considered a "deeper" sleep than REM is fairly irrelevant. The brain may be in a very different state in NREM3/NREM4 than in REM, but loss of voluntary muscle control occurs in both and many of us have our worst obstructions during both REM and Delta sleep. I rarely ever wear my Zeo any more (conserving sensor pads) but after months of wearing it, I can pretty much tell what my sleep stages are from looking at my pressure graph. I can't separate Delta from REM that way, but I just assume I'm getting my usual 20 - 30 minute stretch of Delta as long as my joints aren't hurting.

Back on topic...Desaturations are not something to be taken lightly. I'd see a Doc pronto, especially if having desats that DON'T correspond to apnea events. If the desats DO correspond with obstructive events, I would consider it likely that a pressure increase might be in order.

JMHO

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,911 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 417 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 345 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  [Diagnosis] AHI scores - what sort of range do people have? p123 4 505 10-14-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jstro84
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 996 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Advice for first time CPAP traveller - sharing a room with people. Hopingforachange 5 633 07-19-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: djont57
  what are people doing with the Respironics recall replacements? KuriApollo 8 955 06-23-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: StratCat48

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.