Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Zero improvement with CPAP
Zero improvement with CPAP
Hello all!

For the past 2-3 years I have been feeling every increasingly tired in the morning. I feel sleepier than before going to bed. My eyes look and feel heavy. I actualy have to put drops in and I am very bruised around the eyes. In that same period I have also gained 30lbs (weight is 235lbs). Feeling very tired all the time. I sleep 7 to 10 hours each night and I feel very trired. If I could (didnt have to work) I would fall dead asleep at noon, in the shower, on my breaks.

I went for a sleep study and I was diagnosed with hypopnea. AHI is 6.4 per hour, RERA is 34.3 per HOUR and finaly 47.6 micro awakenings per hour. (translating into english)

I was then prescribed a CPAP machine and they have loaned(150$) me a machince to try.

Today is day 14 and I see zero results from the machine, none! I use it almost every night (think I skipped one night) and I have no problem falling asleep with it.

However I noticed that the machine doesnt push out a lot of pressure, at least I dont think it does. I can stop breathing easely with it and the pressure isnt strong enough to get me to take a next breath. When I inhale, I still have to suck thru the machine. I cant let the machine fill me up with air, it isnt strong enough for that.

At the clinic where I did the test, they let me use their machine for 5 minutes (tube coming out of wall) and the pressure was much stronger. There was no way to avoid taking you next breath.

I dont know if that has anything to do with my poor results. I also got blood test done and all is well there. They checked thyroid as well but nothing wrong there.

I have a appt. at the clinic monday to see how things are going but if I dont see any results after 30 days, I will turn the machine in rather than buying it.

Can the pressure be adjusted on the little machine they lent me? I cant figure it out. Also is it possible that a CPAP may have no results for some people?

Thank you all for any help.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Zero improvement with CPAP
Welcome aboard. Yes, most machines are adjustable, and it is entirely possible that the problem is the pressure settings, so that is your first line of inquiry. If the Apnoea symptoms are treatable by PAP devices, they generally do work to alleviate the problem and only don't if set up improperly, the client isn't compliant, the mask is not properly fitted or the problem itself lies elsewhere and pressure treatment is not the answer. I would have a good look at your pressure settings and if the machine is functioning properly, the air intake is in an area clear of obstacles, the filters are not clogging the vent (it would sound pretty loud if it did) and all the hose and mask connections are correctly done and properly sealed.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.
Post Reply Post Reply
more info please. find the manufacturers label on your machine and tell us what you have. There should be a display and a settings menu, tell us what your machine is set at, all of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi livingdead,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sometimes it can take a while to notice improvements so I encourage you to stick with it.
Tell us what machine you have and where your pressure is set, so it is easier for people to help you.
Hang in there for suggestions and answers to your question and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all! The machine is a resmed. (Says ipx1 s9 on back and h5i on the humidifier) it is a loaner and i was told i would get a newer model from resmed if I end up getting a permanent machine.

It says autoset on the machine and it bever goes above 5.0 but often read much lower. Also the screen goes away after 30sec no way to tell after that.

The pressure seems to be decent at first but after 10-20 minutes it get really low. Sometimes i shut it off and I restart it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a link to show you how to setup that machine: http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

You want to enter the setup mode and put the machine into Autoset mode. A minimum pressure of 6 or more, and a maximum pressure of 20 will let the machine automatically respond to your pressure needs.

As far as running blind, you can download the Sleepyhead software http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

This will let you see what pressure the machine operates at and what kind and number of events you are having. The software must be expanded to a folder, and run from the .exe file in that folder. It reads the SD card that should be in the machine. If no SD card is present, they're cheap, or you might be able to borrow one from a camera or GPS.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's really too early to tell. Some people feel better right away but for many it takes much longer. But it does sound like there is something up with your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just slept from 9:30 pm to 8:15 am

Machine shows 7.1 hours, (i removed it around 5 am) a smilie, and last an AHI of 0.5.

Tired as ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
Error: it was 10:30pm to 8:15am
Post Reply Post Reply
i'll second what Sleeprider said and add... update your profile with the specific equipment your using, even though it's a loaner and might change later.

with the data accessible with sleepy head and the knowledgeable and helpful people found in this forum you will be able to improve your therapy.

with an AHI of .5 last night it sounds like your successfully treating your apnea.

my first 2 months i was also successfully treating my apnea and felt worse than ever, with the data from sleepy head and the help of members here i was able to find big swings in pressure and some large but brief mask leaks and how to adjust things to improve my sleep while maintaining a good AHI. i suspect you will find the same success as me with some time and a little work.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 81 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Grin New CPAP User, looking for improvement help babysleep 8 471 01-24-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  eXciteOSA See Any Improvement? (with images) bergerj 6 1,676 01-21-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: jrolli1509
  some improvement but still having symptoms her.suit 1 245 01-04-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  First OSCAR data - lots of leaks and hardly any improvement :-( p123 8 690 10-10-2023, 03:48 AM
Last Post: p123
  Started CPAP three weeks ago and there is NO improvement in my sleep or how I feel drago7579 43 4,317 09-10-2023, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.