Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] a rise in bloodpressure
a rise in bloodpressure
Hi just found site today and have learned MANY new things! this website should be included with all cpap machines. I have been using a cpap for 10 years with good results, until I got the ResMed auto S9. I had been using the nasel pillows for the last 3yrs at an 8 pressure. with the new machine I am at 11 and had to start using the full face, my mouth was opening and i was biting my tongue. Now after 3 months of use my bloodpressure has gone up to 134/100, with sever anxiety
and heart palpatations. My bloodpressure has always been 120/70. I will be seeing my DR tomorrow. I have narrowed it down to the cpap. Has anyone else had this problem? any input will be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: a rise in bloodpressure
Hi Brenda 66,
WELCOME to the forum.!
It's a good thing you are seeing your Dr. to rule out any problems.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
Best of luck with your Dr. Apointment.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally. no, unless you are experiencing higher levels of oxygen deprivation, your bp shouldn't go up from using a CPAP. Of course, it is possible, anything is. I would keep it in your pocket, take a copy of your latest read out with you for your doc to see, and if you have oximetry as well, bring that along too. But there are many reasons for your bp to jump, anxiety being one of them. I would be sure to look at all possibilities, since if your CPAP is correctly adjusted and you are compliant, the likelihood of having that great a bp jump from CPAP usage is very small. On the other hand, if your CPAP is incorrectly adjusted for you, or the new therapeutic mask is leaking like a sieve, etc, and your AHI has crept up, it is possible. But it really would have be a documented failure of the CPAP to achieve the therapeutic goals in order for that to happen, or the mask not venting the CO2 properly. If that were the case, though, you probably would have pretty big headaches as well.

One thought, since you mention palpitations and anxiety now that you have a full face mask - is it possible that you are having a claustrophobic reaction to the mask? Or is the higher pressure causing an increase in Central Apnoea events (that should be visible in the print out of your data chip)?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2013, 12:15 PM)Brenda 66 Wrote: Hi just found site today and have learned MANY new things! this website should be included with all cpap machines. I have been using a cpap for 10 years with good results, until I got the ResMed auto S9. I had been using the nasel pillows for the last 3yrs at an 8 pressure. with the new machine I am at 11 and had to start using the full face, my mouth was opening and i was biting my tongue. Now after 3 months of use my bloodpressure has gone up to 134/100, with sever anxiety and heart palpatations. My bloodpressure has always been 120/70. I will be seeing my DR tomorrow. I have narrowed it down to the cpap. Has anyone else had this problem? any input will be appreciated.

When I first started CPAP a year ago my blood pressure and blood glucose went up, in spite of everyone telling me that those issues would get better. It took two months but eventually the blood pressure came down, and now it is somewhat lower than it was before. Blood sugars took longer and didn't react as much to the CPAP therapy, but eventually there was some benefit there as well.

Blood pressure is weird. My diastolic is easy to control but sometimes the systolic goes too high. My doc told me that systolic is influenced a lot by stress and anxiety. After he told me that I started taking note of my mental state every time my systolic was too high and, sure enough, I was under more stress than usual. I found that when the systolic is too high the best cure is to go for a hike for a couple of hours. Works better than a pill!

There are a lot of things that influence blood pressure and some of them are hard to become aware of.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 364 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Rise in CA events and CSR GrandCentral 13 723 01-09-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 817 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  New Full Face Mask- Flow and Pressure Rise acruisertoo 8 807 08-06-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: acruisertoo
  [Symptoms] Central Apneas rise out of nowhere Andrewc88 7 1,146 06-27-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  Aircurve 10 VAUTO - missing Ti MAX/Min,Trigger, Rise time? sleep2023 9 1,018 06-26-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: sleep2023
  [Equipment] AHI on the rise - until I disconnected humidifier! kbauhs 0 585 08-04-2021, 02:27 AM
Last Post: kbauhs

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.