Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

straight cpap at hospital
RE: straight cpap at hospital
My last hospital stay (July 4th weekend, 2015) they encouraged me to bring my own CPAP and my own Glucometer. Their machines are huge life support ventelators, and won't work with a CPAP mask. Respiratory Therapist checked my machine in, brought me some distilled water, and had me sign a form. All was good thereafter.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
my sleep doc told me if i need to go to hospital to take it... thankfully that has not been necessary so far!

Hope you are feeling better now that you are home, gramma bear!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Grammabear, I hope you feel better soon. Our local hospitals actually mention for all patients to bring Xpap machines with them (make sure EACH PIECE is marked with your name). For procedures in short-stay, at least have it available in the car in case you should end up having to stay overnight.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had my septoplasty earlier this year, I had the experience from h-ll in getting a straight answer as to whether I could bring my V-Pap or not. I should have just done it which I will get into in a few minutes. Anyway, it turned out the hospital greatly discouraged patients bringing in their own machines but did not forbid it.

Anyway, because I woke up very quickly in the recovery room, this wasn't an issue initially. And the hospital machine was available in case I needed it.

Unfortunately, I ended up staying there for 5 hours because there weren't any rooms available on the floor. It wasn't a problem initially but after awhile, I started getting very tired and wanted to go to sleep. The nurse assured me that if my O2 sats dropped (don't even get my started on that fallacy), she would put the mask on me as she was trained in operating it. Anyway, somehow I got a second wind and stayed awake until finally being taken to the floor.

This was when the sh-t hit the fan. I think because of the delay in my being taken up to the room, a machine was not available and the nursing staff didn't seem to be in a rush to get me one which caused me to insist that they make it a priority which they did to their credit. Unfortunately, my problems were only beginning.

Much to my horror, I realized if I wanted the machine turned on, a respiratory therapist had to be called up to set the machine so I could go to sleep. At one point, I begged him to show me how to operate the machine which incredulously he agreed to do but I couldn't get it to work myself. And yes, I had the experience too of 14 pressure feeling like 25. To make a long short, I finally gave up on using the machine as I was so frustrated.

In retrospect, the floor nurses could have cared less if I had bought my own machine and it would have made things so much easier. But live and learn.

I tried complaining about the situation once I was out of the hospital but I never could find anybody to talk to about it. Hmm.

I also think if god forbid I have a similar type situation in the future, I would ask my sleep doctor to advocate on my behalf. And if he/she wasn't willing to, I would simply bring the bleeping machine and simply insist that I be allowed to use it.

By the way, I understand most hospitals in my area greatly encourage patients to bring their own machine. Unfortunately, this hospital seemed to be the exception to the rule.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can posture cause UARS? Should I go straight for CPAP? frigid 2 572 07-21-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: frigid
  [Diagnosis] Best Sleep Hospital or Clinic for Troubleshooting PAP Perchance2Dream 0 408 05-09-2023, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Perchance2Dream
  Need help: stinky air from CPAP after hospital stay SakimaStorm 4 577 01-26-2023, 07:49 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  [Pressure] Testkit hospital | First Nights | Oscar Data | Pressure Settings Tjahkwn 3 549 10-23-2022, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Forgot the name of sleep apnea doctor and hospital sanemonk1 1 597 04-21-2022, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
Question Do you get up straight away? Lie in? or sleep some more? SevereApnea 9 1,075 11-15-2020, 06:02 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
Question [Equipment] Cut & splice Airmini tube to add QTube? Source for 15mm straight connectors? john.mccarthy 4 2,041 02-26-2020, 09:35 PM
Last Post: booksfan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.