Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] aerophagia symptoms
aerophagia symptoms
Just joined the forum.This is my info. Diagnosed with moderate sleep Apnea in Feb 2014. Had my sleep study Feb. 28, 2014. Started treatment using Resmed S9 auto with heated humidifier March 28, 2014. Setting fixed 7. I have used the cpap every night since the day I picked it up from the supplier with 95% compliancy. I use Sleepy Head for my personal tracking and return my card to my supplier regularly for my suppliers and my sleep doctors use.
The only problem I have is swallowing air. Severe bloating and gas. I am a mouth breather. I tried several masks including nasal pillows and full face. The one i like most in the Quattro SX. I sleep on my left side most comfortably and right side. Never on my back. I wake up and turn sides 6 to 12 times each night. I have averaged wearing the mask 7.5 hours nightly.
My sleep study indicated 23 apneas per hour. With treatment my cpap readings show 5 per hour or less each night. Anyone have any suggestions to minimize the air swallowing? My doctor has not been much help other than to use gas x and eliminate food and drink that adds to the problem with gas and bloating.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: aerophagia symptoms
Welcome to apneaboard Welcome
I cannot help with the aerophagia... Some people report having it.
I wonder why you are using an autoset on fixed pressure?
Perhaps you were issued an autoset; but didn't tolerate pressure changes as some people experience.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
try to time your swallows so that you only swallow after exhaling (and before inhaling) This technique helps with both aerophagia and with ear pressure issues
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Some report that using the EPR setting (exhale pressure relief) on their CPAP may help.

If you know you are a mouth breather, have you tried a chin strap to help keep your mouth closed?

If you google Aerophagia, you will find many helpful articles on this subject.

Also, if you look at the bottom of this page,under possible related threads, you will find more on this subject.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CPAPSC,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
For the aerophagia, you might need to raise the head of your bed a bit.
I think if you do a search here on the board, you'll find threads about this.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 606 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 525 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 409 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.