Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] clear airway
RE: clear airway
Thank you, I will try these settings for a week and see what happens

Post Reply Post Reply
Basically, The ASV is used to treat central sleep apnea, usually when lesser machines were unsuccessful.

Most medical practitioners consider an index of 5 or higher to be the threshold. In other words, an average of 5 events per hour.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2016, 07:45 PM)rozenbob Wrote: What determines need to consider ASV?
Percentage CA or number of CA per night

number, percentage is meaningless.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2016, 07:45 PM)rozenbob Wrote: What determines need to consider ASV?

In USA, some insurance companies require the CAI (CA Index, number of CA per hour) to be at least 10 or even 15 to be eligible for coverage of an ASV machine, but I think most are like USA Medicare, which (if memory serves) allows ASV coverage if the patient with non-ASV treatment has a CAI of at least 5 (yours is) and if the CAI is larger than the OAI (yours is), and if the patient is still having symptoms of excessive daytime sleepiness, and if an ASV titration shows that ASV therapy is able to reduce the AHI or RDI to acceptable levels (which your ASV titration will likely show).
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2016, 04:26 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Hey 67badger, the numbers are not too bad for someone early in their therapy. Let me explain your settings. You have an auto bilevel machine and are using it in a fixed pressure mode. The TiMAX of 2, TiMIN of 3 and rise time are defaults. You are using IPAP at 13.4 and EPAP at 9.4 which means you have a pressure support of 4.0 cm.

Your OA+H are pretty acceptable, but you have somewhat excessive CA. It's not enough to justify ASV, so we will not go there for now. The CA may go away without any changes or intervention, but I know it could be reduced with slightly modified settings. If I was setting it up, I'd recommend mode Vauto, IPAPmax 15, EPAPmin 8.4 and pressure support 3.0. This would start your therapy at 11.4/8.4 (IPAP/EPAP) and would allow it to go as high as 15.4/12.4. So the starting pressure is only 1-cm lower than your current prescription, but the Vauto mode will increase pressure as needed to respond to obstructive events. This lower pressure and pressure support should reduce CA events, but may slightly increase OA. If we find OA is unacceptable, the next step would be to increase EPAPmin by 0.6 to 9.0. If H is too high, we might go back to pressure support of 4.0. It will take some time, and trial and error to fine-tune.

This is nearly the same as your prescription, but lowers pressure and allows the machine's auto algorithm to respond to OA and will reduce the stimulation from pressure support that is the likely cause of CA. Feel free to run that idea by your doctor, or just try it out. You can always go back.
Thank you Sleeprider, I have been using your suggested settings for a week now and have had a high AHI of 2.6 and a low last night of 0.9 (best ever in almost 8 years of CPAP use).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,408 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 126 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 122 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 237 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 274 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 912 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  String of open airway events vinegarben 34 3,903 02-16-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.