Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] dry mouth and throat
Question 
dry mouth and throat
Have been doing well with new cpap, but I awake to a dry mouth and scratchy throat. I breathe through my mouth alot. I have the slimline hose with the adjustable temperature, DME set the humidity on auto and the temp I can adjust. Would it help if I could adjust both? My old resperonics humidifier didnot seem to have this problem, after about five minutes my nose was fully open and woke up no dry mouth. Any help appreciated.

fmacCoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dry mouth and throat
You've already figured out your problem. You breathe through your mouth. Adjusting the humidifier will have minimum effect on your dry mouth and scratchy throat as long as continue to breathe through your mouth. Find a chin strap that will work for you. Based on the number of posts about mouth breathing, this is a common problem and there are other solutions.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
Cutter, I think since fmac uses a full face mask that a chin strap would be difficult to use and counter-productive, since a FFM covers the mouth.

Fmac, I use a similar setup to yours, although I now use a climateline hose. You can indeed use a combination setting for temp/humidity which will improve the dryness issue, but may create rainout. Sometimes difficult to balance the two, you just have to try various combinations to see if you can achieve what you need. I ultimately went to a climateline about a month ago, and seem to be having much better results.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2012, 06:21 AM)fmac Wrote: I have the slimline hose with the adjustable temperature, DME set the humidity on auto and the temp I can adjust. Would it help if I could adjust both?
It sound to me you,re using climateline with climate control set on auto mode which you can set temp to preference and rainout is guaranteed, the default setting is 27C . To adjust both humidity and temp you need to set climate control on manual mode. Its your machine, take ownership and experiment with its functions/features and set it up to your comfort. I don,t use full face mask, others can use it successfully but it take some practice to figure out how to wear it comfortably and without much leak as high leak above the accepted level of 24l/min for a long period of time would affect the quality of the therapy and accuracy of data recorded. Some can wear chinstrap with full face mask, the other alternative is nasal mask with chinstrap (imo if no nasal obstructions you can breathe through your nose but it take getting use to). Try practicing to place the tongue against the top front teeth to keep mouth closed and stopping therapy air escaping through the mouth. What is the leak and AHI?

Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Leak is only 10L and ahi 2.5. Guess I will have to keep my mouth shut. Will experiment with the manual mode and see if can help. I also use a quattro full face and have tried to use a chin strap, but with no success.

thanks fmac Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats you,re doing fine
Just one small step at a time, Every journey begins with a single step Sleep-on-pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2012, 09:32 AM)JumpStart Wrote: Cutter, I think since fmac uses a full face mask that a chin strap would be difficult to use and counter-productive, since a FFM covers the mouth.

Fmac, I use a similar setup to yours, although I now use a climateline hose. You can indeed use a combination setting for temp/humidity which will improve the dryness issue, but may create rainout. Sometimes difficult to balance the two, you just have to try various combinations to see if you can achieve what you need. I ultimately went to a climateline about a month ago, and seem to be having much better results.

Nice catch. I gota quit posting while still asleep.

This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 365 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.