Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] lower APAP pressure
RE: lower APAP pressure
(07-17-2014, 12:23 PM)justMongo Wrote: It retreats slowly. (Like ANZAC troops -- unafraid to attack, slow to retreat. That's for my brother's!)

the army in your apap... comin to get your apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
What JustMongo said. Mine is set to 14 as the lowest. It rarely goes there except for those few minutes when I first lay down and a handful of minutes during the night when I am on my side and not having any events for enough of a time that the machine can relax. Sure, I could set it lower, but then when I roll over, the machine has to swiftly increase in pressure to compensate. I can tell when I go to sleep because the pressure climbs almost straight up.

Look at your data, the graphs themselves, not just the numbers. When your machine sits at the median, what does it do? How long does it stay there? What happens after?

And yes, do what makes you comfortable. If lowering it makes you comfortable, then do so. I was asking the WHY since it seemed unnecessary based on the information you had provided in the first post.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 12:23 PM)justMongo Wrote: Can you post a plot of a typical pressure curve over a night?
Is it really retreating to baseline pressure?
A Resmed APAP raises pressure aggressively in response to flow limitation and snoring which are predictors of impeding OAs.
It retreats slowly. (Like ANZAC troops -- unafraid to attack, slow to retreat. That's for my brother's!)

Still doesn't seem logical that changing baseline from 8 to 6 would make a difference in how you feel.
Thank you for your information.
I think the key here is that these machines are not perfect, by any means. I think it is really important to look at each person individually, and realize that sometimes logic is not the be all, end all.
If a person feels better, and I'm pretty sure that a person knows how they feel better than the machine, I think it is very reasonable to rely on both a person's assessment of their well being, in addition to the imperfect data that these machines give us. For me, I have learned to place a lot of emphasis on my oximetry which is really indicative
of how good you are oxygenating, as when there is apnea/hypopnea, there is usually a fall in oxygen levels.
Once again, it is so good to hear from all of you. Knowledge that you all have is tremendously appreciated. thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,421 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.