Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro/pilairo q
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9-20ish
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: lower APAP pressure
(07-17-2014 12:23 PM)justMongo Wrote:  It retreats slowly. (Like ANZAC troops -- unafraid to attack, slow to retreat. That's for my brother's!)

the army in your apap... comin to get your apneas.
07-17-2014 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

What JustMongo said. Mine is set to 14 as the lowest. It rarely goes there except for those few minutes when I first lay down and a handful of minutes during the night when I am on my side and not having any events for enough of a time that the machine can relax. Sure, I could set it lower, but then when I roll over, the machine has to swiftly increase in pressure to compensate. I can tell when I go to sleep because the pressure climbs almost straight up.

Look at your data, the graphs themselves, not just the numbers. When your machine sits at the median, what does it do? How long does it stay there? What happens after?

And yes, do what makes you comfortable. If lowering it makes you comfortable, then do so. I was asking the WHY since it seemed unnecessary based on the information you had provided in the first post.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-17-2014 03:07 PM
ppowers Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: p10
Humidifier: H5
CPAP Pressure: 6-12

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
(07-17-2014 12:23 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Can you post a plot of a typical pressure curve over a night?
Is it really retreating to baseline pressure?
A Resmed APAP raises pressure aggressively in response to flow limitation and snoring which are predictors of impeding OAs.
It retreats slowly. (Like ANZAC troops -- unafraid to attack, slow to retreat. That's for my brother's!)

Still doesn't seem logical that changing baseline from 8 to 6 would make a difference in how you feel.
Thank you for your information.
I think the key here is that these machines are not perfect, by any means. I think it is really important to look at each person individually, and realize that sometimes logic is not the be all, end all.
If a person feels better, and I'm pretty sure that a person knows how they feel better than the machine, I think it is very reasonable to rely on both a person's assessment of their well being, in addition to the imperfect data that these machines give us. For me, I have learned to place a lot of emphasis on my oximetry which is really indicative
of how good you are oxygenating, as when there is apnea/hypopnea, there is usually a fall in oxygen levels.
Once again, it is so good to hear from all of you. Knowledge that you all have is tremendously appreciated. thanks again.
07-17-2014 03:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Medicare Advantage Coverage for APAP Evie 3 181 11-30-2016 08:22 PM
Last Post: Mike1953
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,239 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  cpap and apap not effictive Ezil71 109 3,079 11-05-2016 11:19 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Unable to clear throat while on APAP NorthernGuy 5 305 10-17-2016 08:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apap I_will_never_sleep_again 2 275 10-14-2016 02:58 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Lower AHI when using HME filter dzwiss 9 440 09-28-2016 04:22 PM
Last Post: dzwiss
  Travel to Australia with Apap. Newbee2016 10 529 09-24-2016 12:06 PM
Last Post: SharonN