Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] not enough air flow
Angry 
not enough air flow
New to cpap. Using for one month with no problems until last week. I feel short of breath and cant get enough air. When I start to fall asleep I wake up gasping. The airflow on the nasal pillows feel reduced. I checked the tubing and connection for leaks, cleaned the filter and tubes but still no increase in air flow. Has anyone else had this problem? need help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: not enough air flow
Welcome

You're in the right place, calliopy2!

The folks here will help you fine tune that new machine so you can get the most out of it.

I think everyone will want to know the exact model # of your Respironics machine
for starters as well as your mask make & model.
Then folks here can help you figure out what pressure(s) you are set for and what to do next.
(Doctors do not have time to help out beginners much so that is why this website is here!)

Hang in there and never quit! Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
As Shasti said, more info on your machine and present settings is needed to narrow down a cause.
Things that come to mind:
1) Using an Auto machine and having too low a starting pressure range. Some noobe's get started at 4 cm-H2O which is generally too low.
2) Using the ramp feature. Most people do better with the ramp turned off.
3) Too small nasal pillow cushion.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi calliopy2,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Are you using ramp? if so, you might either decrease the time it runs or turn it completely off. Let us know what your pressure is and what kind of machine and mask you have so that people can better assist you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I felt like I could not breath because the pressure was making it hard to exhale. On my system one I put it in CFLEX mode which lowers the pressure while you exhale. It did the trick. It is also called expiratory pressure relief

Brad
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually it takes a while to acclimate to pressure as high as 10cm & above.

The feeling will go away after some time when you slowly get used to it.
When you wake up and think your machine is running, but not working, check your exhaust vents and you'll
likely feel the air blowing out.
Then you'll know you have adapted.
Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
If you think the reduced airflow is due to a mechanical (rather than software) problem, in addition to the cleaning and looking for tube leaks you've already done, check the connections between (1) the tubing and the mask, and (2) the tubing and your machine. Also check to make sure there are no kinks or sharp corners in your tubing. I hope you have success!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2015, 12:07 PM)calliopy2 Wrote: New to cpap. Using for one month with no problems until last week. I feel short of breath and cant get enough air. When I start to fall asleep I wake up gasping. The airflow on the nasal pillows feel reduced. I checked the tubing and connection for leaks, cleaned the filter and tubes but still no increase in air flow. Has anyone else had this problem? need help

Hi calliopy2,
Welcome to the forum. Please filled out your profile.

What pressure are you using and if you are using the ramp, turn it off.
If your pressure is too low, you will feel as if you are not getting enough air.

Also, what nasal pillow mask are you using. You can try a size larger pillow to see if that helps.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To all, thanks for all the help. Sorry for the response delay. I was hospitalized for pneumonia and just got discharged today. Having a hard time finding out info. The bill of sale lists each part by number not names and on the machine, the supply company has placed their plaquard info probably hiding what I am looking for. Did find out the problem. Inside the tubing is another flimsy soft plastic coil which was twisted. In the hospital, I had no problems with the cpap. I suspect, like my wheelchair, I must have a walmart quality machine. I did take the hospital tubing and nasal mask. They appear to be of a better quality
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 3 40 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 233 8 minutes ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.