Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] periodic breathing
periodic breathing
What is  the significance of periodic breathing? I am getting 2% some of the time, 6% twice and 12% once. I have only been using Google CPAP for about 5 weeks. Trying to understand what I am looking at
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: periodic breathing
Periodic breathing is a waxing and waning in the airflow which repeats regularly. There is typically an apnea or hypopnea after the waning phase. A particular type of PB called Cheyne Stokes respiration can be associated with congestive heart failure. However PB can also occur in healthy patients and most people see it occasionally (though not all machines report it).

If you haven't had your heart checked recently it might be worth a trip to the doctor. However I think the low percentage you're seeing is probably not a cause for concern. >>Disclaimer: I'm an engineer, not a medical professional <<
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a post of my sleepy head results last night zoomed in on what I figure is a "text book" case of periodic breathing.  Last night was higher than normal for me.  But I'm good for about a total of 1% periodic breathing per month.  I don't worry about it.

[Image: WR3egWEl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
It's really nothing to worry about in that form and frequency. This appears to be an incomplete hypopnea while you are at minimum CPAP pressure with 2 EPR (8.5/6.5). You may be having very slight obstruction that causes the airway to restrict slightly, or it may just be a normal variation, common with people that are relatively new to CPAP. You could experiment with a 0.5 cm increase in pressure, but I don't see anything here needing attention.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,505 1 hour ago
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 261 Today, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 339 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  periodic leg movement sheepless 151 16,802 04-13-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 349 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 196 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 574 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.