Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] presription drug effect on sleep ?
presription drug effect on sleep ?
Hi has anyone  had any noticeable effect on their apnea either as the original cause or as the major factor on the symptons of the apnea because of drugs they have been on through the years .20 years ago ,my wife slept like a baby but after 20 years on motoprolal and Effexor and a statin she now has as of 5 years ago severe sleep apnea I do not claim the drugs as the cause but wonder has anyone else noticed any similar correlation? thanks gary
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: presription drug effect on sleep ?
Many drugs can interact with the respiratory system and cause side-effects, and the drugs you list above can make asthma worse or cause cough or other side-effects. They don't have depressive effects on respiration like opioids. I think it is unlikely these medications are implicated, but your doctor is a better resource to discuss their effect on sleep and restfulness.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can see medications as probable to likely of impacting breathing and sleep apnea. Maybe directly or indirectly, depending on which med we're dealing with. I say this as my pain medication for the back ailments, Prednisone, affects my breathing, supposedly in a positive way according to primary care. So if a med can influence positively, others can influence negatively.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Metoprolol (however that is spelled) is for blood pressure. I take it. And no, it should not make a difference on sleep apnea. It can slow down the heart rate, though. It is also prescribed for angina.

Effexor is an anti-depressant. I was on it for a while and hated it. It is also very hard to come off of or even skip a single dose. Make sure she is taking it at the right time of day. Some anti-depressants need to be taken in the a.m. so it doesn't mess with sleep. Others need to be taken at night so it can help with sleep. It is also prescribed for fibromyalgia. I think.

I suggest you and she sit down with either her doctor or her pharmacist and ask them. My pharmacist is really cool and always takes time to talk to me about any new medication. He also knows of my conditions and tells me if I need to watch for something.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2017, 09:01 AM)buddygirl15 Wrote: Hi has anyone  had any noticeable effect on their apnea either as the original cause or as the major factor on the symptons of the apnea because of drugs they have been on through the years .20 years ago ,my wife slept like a baby but after 20 years on motoprolal and Effexor and a statin she now has as of 5 years ago severe sleep apnea I do not claim the drugs as the cause but wonder has anyone else noticed any similar correlation? thanks gary

I was on metatoporal and had bad dreams on it. Had to change it. As for statins, well, I will not ever take them again. Could not sleep at all. As soon as I stopped my sleep came back. My dr did not believe me and I made him a bet. Give me 10 pills, in any combination of statin and placebos. If I guess all 10 you get off my back. He wouldn’t take the bet and I have a new dr. No longer taking statins and my cholesterol is ok. Not perfect but acceptable. 

Try skipping a dose one night and see if it makes a difference. 

This was all before CPAP came into my life so I can’t say how they might affect current treatment.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
As I think about it....would it be important to know whether those medications were at the root of apnea? Those are medications that folks need for a reason. They are important for a healthy life for them. It's not like it wouldn't have a major impact on their health if they were stopped.

So.... I guess my point is that what is, is. Apnea is a life threatening condition. It will be important to address it, just the same way and with the same seriousness you address high blood pressure, depression, and heart issues.

There are so many factors as well. It might be impossible to pin down an exact cause for a person's apnea. There's age, for one....

Good luck to your spouse...
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Beta-blockers and sleep: a controlled trial.
Betts TA, Alford C.
Abstract

The effects on sleep of four beta-blockers, atenolol, propranolol, metoprolol and pindolol, were studied in a placebo-controlled trial. Drugs were administered in random order to 10 female volunteers who acted as their own controls. Subjects were tested five times, each test period lasting 10 nights (2 baseline, 2 low dose, 4 high dose, and 2 withdrawal). A questionnaire concerning subjective appreciation of the quality of the previous night's sleep was completed each morning. Night recordings of muscle tension, eye movement, heart rate and electroencephalogram were recorded on paper and magnetic tape. Analysis of the subjective questionnaires showed that recollection of dreaming and awakening in the night was increased by the three lipophilic drugs, propranolol, metoprolol, and pindolol. These results confirm reports in the literature but are contrary to those expected from considering the effects of noradrenaline on sleep. Analysis of physiological records confirmed subjects' reports that waking was increased by the lipophilic drugs. Dreaming (rapid eye movement sleep, REM) was reduced, as predicted from knowledge of the effect of noradrenaline on sleep. Increased awakening leads to an increase in remembered dreaming which explains the otherwise paradoxical results. Although atenolol had no effect on subjective measures of sleep this hydrophilic drug also reduced REM frequency, suggesting that either it has some central effect, or that REM reduction is due to a peripheral 'shielding' effect.

Other reports say beta blockers can cause insomnia.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am unable to respond to your inquiry directly, but I would also consider the fact that advancing age is often linked to sleep apnea.  So, it may not be the use of the drugs for 20 years, but rather, continuing to be alive over that period of time that is responsible.
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to thank everyone for providing info and your histories of your experiences with meds and sleep apnea .I have strived through the years to encourage my wife to try to over come what health issues she may have by changing eating habits exercise and weight management but of course it is easy to suggest and even at best may not be enough .There is a lot to this issue , so thank you all again it all helps toward the enrichment of life for my wife Gary at buddygirl 15
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Drug induced Central sleep apnea Per Laursen 0 431 12-13-2023, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Per Laursen
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Severe central apnea as side effect of Brilinta Remfan 9 1,615 06-02-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Ivy woods
  [CPAP] DS2 12mm vs 15mm tubing -effect on AHI arpegio 0 606 02-24-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: arpegio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.