Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Symptoms requireing CPAP
RE: Symptoms requireing CPAP
(01-14-2014, 01:56 PM)Cicero Wrote: How many conditions are there that require CPAP?
My symptoms are waking tired and head aches.

And thus far have had no help from the machine.
Four questions:

1) How long have you been using the PAP machine?

2) What does your efficacy data look like?

3) How soundly do you think you are sleeping with the machine? And how much sleep are you getting with the machine?

4) What other medical conditions are you dealing with? What medications do you take for those conditions?

And a comment: PAP does not fix bad sleep. The only thing PAP fixes is sleep disordered breathing. In other words, PAP does not fix bad sleep if bad sleep is caused by other things in addition to (untreated) OSA. Likewise, PAP by itself will only fix daytime sleepiness and exhaustion if the only cause of the daytime sleepies is untreated OSA. If you've been using PAP for several months and you have not seen any improvement, you need to start considering what things other than OSA might be adversely affecting your sleep and how you feel in the daytime.

Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind, as we get older, all sort of health problems crop up and not all sleep apnea related
But having sleep apnea treated have beneficial benefits to other health problem too

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2014, 04:37 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 03:01 PM)Cicero Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 02:58 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: Other symptoms can be acid refulx, nocturia, high blood pressure.
And yours are?
These are only tip of the iceberg. There is no other medical condition associated with so many risks
Not breathing while you're sleeping is a serious problem
Ima and you sound like good candidates for the machine.'I ask because they tell me I need the machine, but as I say, so far, though I find it is not a problem using it, I don't see any benefit, but it is good to see you all getting good results.

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2014, 02:25 AM)Cicero Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 04:37 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 03:01 PM)Cicero Wrote: And yours are?
These are only tip of the iceberg. There is no other medical condition associated with so many risks
Ima and you sound like good candidates for the machine.'I ask because they tell me I need the machine, but as I say, so far, though I find it is not a problem using it, I don't see any benefit, but it is good to see you all getting good results.

the benefit is that you have the best chance of waking up alive in the morning and preventing damage to your organs because of untreated OSA. One thing to consider is that your body will take a while to heal and you may or may not know how long you have been untreated for OSA. It is like when you get sick with the flu or some other illness, it takes time to recover from it and we all recover at a different pace.

How long have you been on CPAP therapy? Have you looked at your data to see what your events are each night? Have you looked to see what your leak rate is? How long do you sleep each night? Are you waking up a lot during the night? If so, do you stay up or do you go right back to sleep? Have you checked your O2 during the night? If you aren't sure what the graphs mean, please post your graphs and we can try and help you with what your graphs show.

Hope this helps some.
Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue has a good point to evaluate anything else that may be causing poor sleep for you. It can become easy to get caught up on one single thing when it may be a combination of things. For me, though, I was blaming other things for the symptoms caused by OSA.

As for the apnea, I think if it is left untreated it can become worse with age and it can cause damage that you don't necessarily know about until years later. I believe apnea got worse with me in the last couple years. I was in denial and didn't get it checked. Trying sprays, mouthguard, and nasal strips mainly to eliminate the snoring. I was uninformed of the symptoms and damage caused by OSA. I was also afraid it would require surgery. I have had many major surgeries in recent years and just plain tired of battling through them. Those and chemotherapy have worn me down physically and emotionally.

I admit I don't enjoy going through the routine each night of getting hooked up. I wish I didn't have to but it has been proven to me that I need it. I am determined to make it work. The few changes I have seen such as 100% reverse of nocturia has amazed me. My mother has weak bladder and I was afraid I was headed down that road. I see also that I don't need to go as much during the daytime. The little things and subtle changes make me optimistic and positive for the bigger changes to come. The longer left untreated, the longer some things will take to improve.

I am still a relative newbie (2 months) so it seems a challenge to get comfortable and settled down each night. I fidget with it a lot trying to adjust things. I am looking forward to the time when it is just routine and falls into place more easily. The easier nights are becoming more frequent. I keep reading this forum and have learned a lot on what to do and how to do things. I am becoming accustomed to how and what to adjust to make it better.

The important unseen advantage is making sure oxygen levels remain at a normal level and not damaging organs over time. On another thread someone did a calculation of how many times they stopped breathing multiplied by nights over the years of having sleep apnea. The number was pretty alarming. Also making sure all the stages of sleep are achieved is important. Particularly reaching deep sleep for replenishing the body.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2014, 02:35 AM)me50 Wrote:
(01-15-2014, 02:25 AM)Cicero Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 04:37 PM)zonk Wrote: These are only tip of the iceberg. There is no other medical condition associated with so many risks

the benefit is that you have the best chance of waking up alive

Hope this helps some.
My question is, do you know someone who has woken up dead?

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]
[/quote]

not when they faithfully use their machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
[/quote]

[/quote]
Glad you have found the secret of life.:>)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 01:29 AM)Cicero Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 04:28 PM)me50 Wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

How long have you been on CPAP therapy? Have you looked at your data to see what your events are each night? Have you looked to see what your leak rate is? How long do you sleep each night? Are you waking up a lot during the night? If so, do you stay up or do you go right back to sleep? Have you checked your O2 during the night? If you aren't sure what the graphs mean, please post your graphs and we can try and help you with what your graphs show.

I think robysue had some questions too so we could help you. I haven't seen your answers and they would be helpful for us to help you out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 08:29 AM)me50 Wrote:
(01-20-2014, 01:29 AM)Cicero Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 04:28 PM)me50 Wrote:

[/quote]

I think robysue had some questions too so we could help you. I haven't seen your answers and they would be helpful for us to help you out.

[/quote]
Thanks Me.
I seem to have mastered the leak problem, no problems at all, I use pillows and a chin strap, all provided I might add by the NZ health service(much broader than Obama care).
I tend to sleep for about 4 hrs, then get up, and usually nod off in the recliner watching Aljazeera.Slept for 6hr this morn.
I am waiting for the result of a test where I slept with Cpap and this thing on my finger attached to I think and Oxygen level reader.
No idea how to find graphs, if it is via the card in Machine, then I can't read it, when I try to, it says I need to know what program I want to open it.
AHI is at 2.5
Vid = 2
Rid = 700.
No idea what any of that means.
Thanks again

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 489 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  some improvement but still having symptoms her.suit 1 244 01-04-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  6+ of CPAP, but symptoms are coming back for some reason terrytorres 7 637 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.