Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] shrtnes of daytime breating
shrtnes of daytime breating
HI, I am new and need some answers I have done a sleep test 2 years go and said NO MASK for me. I have been to a lung doctor and heart docter and everything is fine there, but when the lung doctor read the fndings for the sleep test he said this is your problem. my problem is Shortness of breath when walking during the DAY. Which I do not understand, How can sleep apnea, aflect daytime breathing????
I am not tired during the day I do not fall asleep watching T V or while sitting reading a book. So how can this be the problem... I sleep fine at night, no gasping for air or waking up andcan not breathe.
So I need all of your help, please. will do what ever I should but I just do not understand it.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: shrtnes of daytime breating
Not enough information -- however, may I suggest you read about Atelectasis.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I suppose the answer lies in what the doctor was referring to when he reviewed your sleep test. ...and having seen something of interest, does he consider treatment for sleep apnea would have any effect on the daytime issues?

Shortness of breath when exercising (walking is exercising) can be caused by any number of issues including various COPD issues. So I think you need to have another conversation with the good Doc, and ask him what he found, and what he recommends doing about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nancydear,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might want to talk to your doc about the shortness of breath during the daytime.
When you went for your sleep study two years ago, were you diagnosed with sleep apnea?
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you saying they said "you don't have apnea" after the sleep test 2 years ago, and the lung doctor is now saying you have apnea and need CPAP?

Do you have a copy of your sleep test results?

Many people who think they sleep fine actually do have apnea when they get a sleep test.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for your help. Yes accroding to the sleep test I do have sleep apnea.And the Lung doctor seems to think or said that is my problem for day time shortness of breath. If I could understand how the sleep apnea afflects the day time breathing then I will do the the darn mask thing, but I have not been informed by him or anyone else that is the case. So I turned here for answers. I am 5'5 140 lbs so not overweight and my numbers from the test wereRDI/AHI 25.1 during sleep oxgen was 94 with low oxyhemoglobin saturation of 89%. Obstructive sleep Apnea syndrome 327.23-0 And I guess that is what you guys asked for?
Post Reply Post Reply
The signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas overlap, sometimes making the type of sleep apnea more difficult to determine. The most common signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas include:

Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia)
Loud snoring, which is usually more prominent in obstructive sleep apnea
Episodes of breathing cessation during sleep witnessed by another person
Abrupt awakenings accompanied by shortness of breath, which more likely indicates central sleep apnea
Awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat
Morning headache
Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia)
Attention problems

You can google sleep apnea symptoms and look around awhile. I don't see daytime shortness of breath as being a often reported symptom.

It does, from your results, sound as if you have apnea. You can treat it or not, it's your decision. But it's not a decision to "do the darn mask," it's a decision whether or not you wish to protect you heart, your brain things, your gizzard, and any number of other organs from premature failure. Will it fix your daytime shortness of breath? You need to ask your doc why he made the correlation. Are you a smoker? That could be why. Anyhow, you really need to find out what is going on and do something about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not smoker, never have been. The good doctor just looked at the test results and said "that is your problem, do you want to just call us when you decide what you want to do." Not this will help with your day time shortness of breath or nothing. The sleep clinic called to set up appointment and I said until someone can tell this WHY I have shortness of breath I am doing nothing. I do not have any sleepiess during the day. I sleep all night have no issues other than the shortness of breath duing day time. I have looked everywhere and donot see anything about shortness of breathing during the day as a condition for sleep apnea.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Then it is time for a second opinion. You need a Doc that will look at your actual test results, do a physical exam of you, and help you to find out what you need to know. You do not need a Doc that says "Call me when you figure out what you want to do."

As an option, or even a starting point, call your good Doctor and ask for a copy of your records, especially the sleep test results. You'll need those to help find the answers you are seeking.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I would see an ENT doctor and tell him about all this. You may have some bronchial condition that could be causing the sleep apnea as well as a daytime problem with breathing properly.

If no joy from that then I would advise you to go along with what the good doctor suggests and do the CPAP thing. Sometimes you just have to trust someone, especially if your dealing in his area of expertise. Then if CPAP fails to help you you can tell him you told him so and start all over again. Don't expect to get a refund on any monies spent in the process though. Okay
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 95 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,739 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Low daytime SPO2 and fatigue vpsdub 30 3,067 09-28-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: vpsdub
  shallow breating shuts off my apap? PressuresOn 11 1,121 08-11-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: PressuresOn
  andielv's Therapy Thread - Daytime Drowsiness andielv 5 623 07-18-2023, 08:30 PM
Last Post: andielv
  Daytime fatigue w/ lower AHI, higher number of CA quartet3424 6 1,114 07-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Any tips or tricks for daytime fatigue? Rook83 0 477 07-08-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Rook83

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.