Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] shrtnes of daytime breating
RE: shrtnes of daytime breating
(08-12-2014, 11:08 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: I think I would see an ENT doctor and tell him about all this. You may have some bronchial condition that could be causing the sleep apnea as well as a daytime problem with breathing properly.
Completely agree, although I'd rather see a pulmonary Doc for this.

(08-12-2014, 11:08 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: If no joy from that then I would advise you to go along with what the good doctor suggests and do the CPAP thing. Sometimes you just have to trust someone, especially if your dealing in his area of expertise. Then if CPAP fails to help you you can tell him you told him so and start all over again. Don't expect to get a refund on any monies spent in the process though. Okay

OP reports no Apnea symptoms. Has had a sleep test but does not personally know the results. Without one, or preferably both of those areas being addressed no treatment should be started in my view.

Then, if it becomes clear that an apnea condition exists, to quote the famous Yoda, "There is no try. There is only do, or not do."

But, the fact that the patient is concerned about her daytime shortness of breath further investigation is absolutely needed. Shortness of breath can be caused by many things, some serious, some not... Some treatable, some not so much.

Post Reply Post Reply
All true retired_guy, although sometimes it's more convenient to get an opinion from a different doctor in an allied field. That also avoids offending your present pulmonologist although that's not a priority.

I certainly hope that nancydear doesn't have a lung problem as well as sleep apnea. I know how difficult that is since that's where I stand, emphysema and SA. It's rather difficult to say the least. High expiratory pressures are hard to deal with and require exceptional measures and equipment. I'm still in that "figuring it out stage".

But then her pulmonologist gave her an all clear (didn't he?) on lung function so that's good news.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 11:57 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: But then her pulmonologist gave her an all clear (didn't he?) on lung function so that's good news.

I did not notice that. If so, then maybe it's "stress test" time. Oh yuk.

Speaking of emphysema and such, I'm going to start a new thread to talk with you about that. So stay tuned:
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 12:02 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I did not notice that. If so, then maybe it's "stress test" time. Oh yuk.

Good point, get the heart involved in the equation. Sleep apnea and heart problems aren't mutually exclusive. Often times shortness of breath is heart related and not a lungy thingy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I will try the ENT
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully your ENT will find something that he can do to help your daytime shortness of breath. Keep in mind that he is a surgeon and you need to do some research on any procedure that he recommends to be sure you understand the good and bad sides of it. Frankly, if you don't have a stuffed up nose and some sort of bronchial inflamation or similar breathing difficulties, the ENT may not be able to help you. You judge and act accordingly.

If no joy from the ENT than go back to the Pulman and request that he order an echocardiogram w/Doppler to see if your heart is doing its job full time. Many heart problems can be fixed so don't despair if that turns out to be the case. Often shortness of breath is a heart problem rather than a lung one but you don't need to remind the good doctor of that. If I had my druthers, I'd prefer a heart problem as opposed to lung troubles. The latter is least able to be repaired.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 99 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,755 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Low daytime SPO2 and fatigue vpsdub 30 3,074 09-28-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: vpsdub
  shallow breating shuts off my apap? PressuresOn 11 1,122 08-11-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: PressuresOn
  andielv's Therapy Thread - Daytime Drowsiness andielv 5 624 07-18-2023, 08:30 PM
Last Post: andielv
  Daytime fatigue w/ lower AHI, higher number of CA quartet3424 6 1,117 07-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Any tips or tricks for daytime fatigue? Rook83 0 478 07-08-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Rook83

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.