Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] side effects
side effects
Ok - The doctors gave me a cpap machine about a year ago. After three days and the worse sleep of my life I said NO. (Briefly, I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea I believe the number was 13. A mouth device would not work due to the structure of my jaw, and teeth, etc.) Long story short all the things I read for optimal health and weight loss point me back to the cpap machine.
Here I am a week into it and I have yet to have a decent night sleep. I seem to do 45 min intervals.
Here is what I am noticing. When I wake up, I am tingling all over. This does not feel like a good tingle. I can feel it in my toes, and feet, my arms and fingers. It almost feels electrical or maybe I want to start cramping up. Has anyone else ever experience this.
Do you whistle when you breath out. It seems like I am breathing really hard.
I believe my machine is set on 3.5, I tried to lower it to 2.5 before but it seems like I could never catch my breath at that setting. Am I using this thing right?
I thought I would try to get some answer before I called Kaiser to make another appointment.
Thanks Grin

Jane

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: side effects
Welcome to the forum janewest45,

First, we would need a little more information.
What machine are you using, make, model. Is it a Cpap or auto Cpap, bilevel?
What pressure it is set to? The lowest pressure is 4, and the highest is 20cm. A low setting of 4 will leave you feeling starved for air.

Someone here will be able to help if you give us a little more information.

Your profile says you are using ResScan software, can you give us some data from that software,
Like your AHI, breakdown of AHI: obstructive, hypopneas, clear airway, leak rate.

In regard to your concern about tingling all over; I've never heard of anything like that. Mabye something to discuss with your doctor.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I went for the book and I will update my profile to reflect. ResMed S9 Series w/ Swift FX for Her Nasal Pillow System.
I have the temp at 78, I have the Humidifier at 3.0 and I believe the thing is set at 4.0 and I have yet to figure out how to change that. what is AHI ? I am not sure how to get the data either. I dont think I get the data I think Kaiser gets it with the disk.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the start switch -- what does it say just above it? That's the type of S9 you have.
It may say VPAP S, or AUTOSET, or VPAP Auto, or ELITE...

The S9 has an SD data card in a slot on the back. Usually blue in color.That can be read by your computer using available software.

If you're really set for 4 cm, then you are starving for air. Has to be more to it. First, find the type of machine.

AHI is Apnea, Hypoapnea Index -- the number of events per hour.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._%28AHI%29
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi janewest45,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you as you restart your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 10:06 PM)janewest45 Wrote: Ok - The doctors gave me a cpap machine about a year ago. After three days and the worse sleep of my life I said NO. (Briefly, I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea I believe the number was 13. A mouth device would not work due to the structure of my jaw, and teeth, etc.) Long story short all the things I read for optimal health and weight loss point me back to the cpap machine.
Here I am a week into it and I have yet to have a decent night sleep. I seem to do 45 min intervals.
Here is what I am noticing. When I wake up, I am tingling all over. This does not feel like a good tingle. I can feel it in my toes, and feet, my arms and fingers. It almost feels electrical or maybe I want to start cramping up. Has anyone else ever experience this.
Do you whistle when you breath out. It seems like I am breathing really hard.
I believe my machine is set on 3.5, I tried to lower it to 2.5 before but it seems like I could never catch my breath at that setting. Am I using this thing right?
I thought I would try to get some answer before I called Kaiser to make another appointment.
Thanks Grin

Jane

I don't know what type of CPAP you have but set at 4 cm H20 is probably the lowest setting and is probably way too low to meet your needs. Have you ever had a titration done? What did your doctor suggest the pressure be set at?

My guess is that you need more pressure.

Another piece of information on hat would be needed is what type of apneas are you suffering. Treating obstructive apneas is somewhat different than treating central apneas.

I would also suggest downloading Sleepyhead software and uploading the data from your machine into it: you will get a wealth of useful information.

Sleep-well

Walt
Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 410 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 983 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  would it matter if you ran a cpap (without humidifier) on its side?on its side snorin2 8 629 11-19-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.