Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SysOne "hose heater" - why?
SysOne "hose heater" - why?
Hello, all;

Still in the "getting to know you" stage with my Respironics System One "auto BiPAP". Day 12 and sleeping avg 7.5 hrs/night (in 2.5 hr "segments", as is my post-throat cancer treatment "norm"). Have been wearing BiPAP all night every night, with somewhat sporadic benefit - feeling great one day, maybe drowsy the next, back to great the next. Unpredictable but progress nonetheless.

Pressure is 8min/12max with AHI of 5.5-8, so doing well there after initial AHI of 15+. Having some major issues with mouth dryness (which has existed prior to BiPAP therapy) and I've dialed humidifier up to 5. Tank is typically 1/2 empty in the morning, so it's doing something.

"Hose heat" is OFF as DME delivered it that way. What is the specific purpose/benefits of hose heat? FWIW, DME (Sheri Fellat with Brite Healthcare here in Houston, who has been nothing short of phenomenal - very supportive and fast on returning calls) asked what temp we sleep at (quite cool 69 degrees in our bedroom at night) and suggested hose heat be off.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Bruce
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SysOne "hose heater" - why?
Sleeping in a cool bedroom can cause two problems that are fixed by using a heated hose: the feeling of a cold wind on your face, or rainout (getting splashed on the face by condensation). It's a comfort feature, and your choice. If you're comfortable without a heated hose, there's no reason to use one. Some people use a hose cover for the same purpose, but it's less effective than a heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SysOne "hose heater" - why?
(11-17-2015, 12:24 AM)touch33 Wrote: "Hose heat" is OFF as DME delivered it that way. What is the specific purpose/benefits of hose heat?

The warmer air is, the more water it can hold. If your humidifier is set too high and the hose air is too cool the water picked up by the humidifier will precipitate out, causing water to accumulate in the hose as "rainout". You will hear gurgling sounds and may get water splashed into the mask.

If you need humidity you should turn the hose heat up as high as you are comfortable with.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 642 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,559 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.