Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

THANKS YOU _ YOU SAVED ME!!!
THANKS YOU _ YOU SAVED ME!!!
GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU! I was scheduled to have UPPP surgery in  a few days and you told me the opposite of what the doctor told me and told me to get a 2nd opinion. I live near Plattsburgh, NY and had to drive 1.5 hours to VT to get a 2nd opinion. I also had a 3rd doctor give his opinion during the same visit at UVM.

My doctor: I went back to him with my list of concerns from you folks and my own research. He said every issue was hog wash and nonsense, He told me I had really large tonsils, very large soft palette, deviated septum, large uvula, and GARANTEED 100% that I would no longer need a CPAP and I would no longer snore. This was YESTERDAY. He also convinced my both logically and by telling me I would die if I didn't have it done because the CPAP machine cannot be used when I'm 70+

Today I made the drive (it was not easy getting appointment a week before surgery). I learned that there are surgeons that get paid salary and others who get paid per surgery... I was immediately told NO WAY for surgery! He said they learned over 10 years ago that at most it would only allow a reduction in CPAP pressure and would be back or worst 1,2,3, or 4 years later. He said my tonsils were not large and in fact were SMALLER than normal!!! My Palette was not abnormal or interfering either. He did agree that I have a bad deviated septum and that my uvula was very large. He prescribed nasal spray to allow me to breath via my nose every night with the CPAP machine. If I lost 10 or 20 pounds the machine could be dialed down, but because I've had super loud snoring my whole life, I may have been born with sleep apnea and losing weight might no cure it, but every 10% would help lower the CPAP pressure. If the nasal spray does not work than I can have the deviated septum corrected and maybe the uvula trimmed down, but not removed.

He then asked another ENT doctor to stop in. He told him my sleep study stats and asked if any type of surgery would help and he said "absolutely not" He then went on to explain what the 1st doctor told me.

I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!! NORTHERN NY PEOPLE - GET A SECOND OPINION IN VT instead of being talked  and rushed into surgery by the only ENT left in this town.

I'm buying an SD card for my machine. I started wearing a CMS-50D+ and it wakes me up when my O2 gets low, so I purchase a more expensive unit that is designed for sleeping and has more details.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: THANKS YOU _ YOU SAVED ME!!!

All I can say is thanks for your open mind and listening.  The surgery is a one-way trip.  You can be comfortable and healthy with CPAP for a lifetime.  It's great to have you as part of our little community.  Since you were off-line you will see other threads with a similar subject have been started and restarted and lots of experienced members have shared their experiences.  Not many are speaking positively of surgery.  

Stick around, and let us help make the most of your good choice, and you can help others avoid making a similar mistake.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great that you dodged that bullet!  Surgery can lead to so many bad things,  if it isn't the riggt solution for your problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have watched my Dad suffer so much from the surgery you just saved yourself from. I refer to my Dad's suffering a lot but we are very close and it kind of ticks me off because I really believe he was a victim.

Very good to hear that the sword tricks weren't played on another victim for the profit of the wielder.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't ever ask a surgeon if you need surgery-- the answer is almost always yes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2018, 04:40 PM)JohnJ789 Wrote: GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU! I was scheduled to have UPPP surgery in  a few days and you told me the opposite of what the doctor told me and told me to get a 2nd opinion. I live near Plattsburgh, NY and had to drive 1.5 hours to VT to get a 2nd opinion. I also had a 3rd doctor give his opinion during the same visit at UVM.

<snip>

JohnJ, Thank you so very much for updating us!  I have been very anxious because of the strong pressure your surgeon was putting on you — always a 'tell' that it isn't in your best interest; only the other person's benefit.

I hope your surgeon who needed the $$$ for the 6/6 surgery will not suffer for the loss of that money, but it was ill-gotten gains so he will be better for not having cut on you — though he may not realize he is any better.

Please keep us updated on your progress; you have a lot of challenges — not the least of which is driving into Vermont, with all those crazy Democrats and Irishmen (where my dad was born and raised! Dielaughing )
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to see that you have postponed your surgery.
Always best to get second opinions and help from forum to help you form your opinion.
Don't assume your doctor was only interested in money, he/she may have truly believed in his judgement. Most people believe their judgement, but they can be wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP won't work for those older than 70 years of age?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Report that quack to the College of Physicians and Surgeons.  He's a menace to people.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Saved Data Test Hojo 7 1,648 08-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  SleepyHead Beta Saved my toosh Luxsit5280 3 1,869 03-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Last Post: saltydawg2
  Resmed file saved in unsharable .csv not PDF. Fix? TheManseHen 8 3,106 01-18-2015, 11:04 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.