Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

TOTALLY NEW, what to do, what to do??
RE: TOTALLY NEW, what to do, what to do??
(03-13-2016, 06:19 PM)Dianea Wrote: >>>
And Mapnut, are you meaning breathe in and out just to calm down for the moment or is that something to do prior to going to bed? I'm thinking both! Would deep breathing help to kind of "stock up" on Oxygen? >>>>

The former.
And; don't mind me too much. I'm just a resident clown.

More seriously; you can't "stock up" on oxygen for any significant amount of time that's why apneas are counted when they last 10 seconds or longer. Our bodies need virtually constant flow of oxygenated blood.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2016, 06:19 PM)Dianea Wrote: THANK YOU ALL!!

You mean like sleeping sitting up, recliner style or elevating the legs at the top of your bed?

Actually, I just meant if you are panicky going to bed, that laying down flat on your back will not help. More apnea events happens when one is on their back.
Sleeping on your side is best.

If you have a recliner, try that for awhile to stop the panicky feeling.
Dreaming
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm so tired. I have fuzzy brain all the time when I need to be alert and sociable for work and driving to and from work (2 to 4 hours late at night). HOW LONG DID YOU HAVE TO WAIT BEFORE GETTING YOUR MACHINE?

I waited 5 months for my first sleep study. Other than what my tech told me, I don't know what the results were (I'm going to ask for a copy) NOT A PEEP form my doctor about it. While waiting for his response, After waiting for 2 weeks, I called and I found out from the receptionist that I needed to get another study done, but I had to ask about it. (What if I had never asked and just patiently waited!) I called where I had my study done and THEY ARE NO LONGER IN OPERATION. So I called my doctor's office and got another referral and today I got an appointment. Today is April 11 and my appointment is on JULY 7!! UGH!

IS ALL THIS WAITING NORMAL??? I do not know what the time frame after that will be to get a machine. I'd love to accept the standard 2 weeks wait, in view of the 5 months and now another 3 months THAT sounds pretty good!!

I'll see if there are other posts about what to do when waiting. I'll look into getting a wedge...

Post Reply Post Reply
No, none of what you describe is normal.

Was this a sleep center that went out of business? You have a right to a copy of the study you had done there.

Call your doctor back and see if he can get a copy of that study. Don't talk to the receptionist, ask to speak to the doctor.

Then call your insurance to see if they paid for the first study, and explain what happened. Are they going to pay for a second study?

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2016, 04:44 PM)Dianea Wrote: IS ALL THIS WAITING NORMAL??? I do not know what the time frame after that will be to get a machine. I'd love to accept the standard 2 weeks wait, in view of the 5 months and now another 3 months THAT sounds pretty good!!

I'll see if there are other posts about what to do when waiting. I'll look into getting a wedge...

Strongly advise you to get the full report of your first study. The second one is likely for Titration and based on the findings of the first, could potentially do self titration with an autoset machine instead (assuming no significant findings other than OSA)
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. Read the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this post for some advice on how not to get screwed by the system, and how to solve some problems.

What country and state are you in? The rules on insurance vary.

Don't obsess too much over getting the machine right away. I think of untreated apnea as like being a really heavy smoker. It's probably not going to kill you in the next few weeks, but it's going to harm your health, and over a period of years, it will kill you.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dianea,
Here's a great thread for you to read. Will keep your mind off of things till you get your machine.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ea-funnies

On a more serious note, here is a link to help you choose the correct machine:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Try to have a positive attitude to it. I was in Apnea Denial for a long time. The sleep doctor that I saw years ago made it sound like Living Hell. Sleep with a mask and hose on? Not for me!

The sleep tech that I worked with to get setup helped me change my mind and attitude. It has been less than a month for me, but I look forward to putting my mask on like I do to curling up in a warm blanket on a cold night. I know it will keep me comfortable and sleeping well all night. After just a few weeks, I find that I often reach for my nose to see if I have the mask on! It can be like this for you too. CPAP is your new best friend. The only down side for me is getting an itchy nose at night. Scratching the mask has little effect. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm looking forward to having it. I just have a LONG LONG wait until I get it, if I get it at all. Months not just weeks.

In the meantime, I hear about all the increased risks of this, that, and the other things. Maybe combined with the stress of a new job agency and method, it all kind of piles up. A good night's sleep would do wonders for my morale but no, another thing to worry about.

I'm just venting...I'm self employed and can't afford health insurance on my own. Ugh...like I said, I'm just venting. I live alone and sleep alone so I don't get any input as to how I'm sleeping...I just know between the weird working hours, tons of driving (you gotta go where the work is) and this possible Sleep Apnea thing, I'm dead tired. I still haven't heard a word from my doctor as to if I have it. Not a peep! I'm still just going by what the tech said at the study!

I'm going to fax the request for results tomorrow. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2016, 08:00 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Most people say that weight is not an issue in most cases, don't beat yourself up
Most people have spent time and money getting comfortable with sleeping: mattresses, pillows, toppers, blankets, sheets.... This is just the latest thing.
It does indeed get better, I too used to put off going to bed as long as possible and now I actually watch the clock so I don't go to bed too early. Turns out I really like sleeping.
You will get the machine your doctor prescribes, make sure that your doctor knows what you want.

I started with a wedge and ended up sitting up before I got my machine. Don't assume and wait for anything, call them and confirm. Don't accept the standard two weeks or whatever they tell you. Call the Doctors office, call the DME, call your insurance company.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am totally lost gaydolphinorgy 4 797 01-07-2022, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  I am TOTALLY (and hopelessly) lost! Danno54 31 3,240 06-26-2020, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Can't find a mask. Totally frustrated! michael9346 51 7,645 07-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Totally Disappointed bricki 23 4,033 06-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: bricki
  Totally New CPAP User - CLUELESS Theilluminator 10 3,055 07-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Totally Confused by Airsense 10 Data - Centrals - Problem machine... ? mymontreal 45 9,531 02-27-2017, 02:31 AM
Last Post: vsheline
  New Member: New User, Which Machine? Totally confused Spunky8 10 2,504 01-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.