Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

TSA broke part of my machine
RE: TSA broke part of my machine
One more question. Did you pack the machine in the carry case, or loose in the luggage? I'll bet not the carry case. No way can you damage the start button on this machine when packed properly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,

I wouldn't leave it loose. I put it in the resmed bag. Albeit, the bag was a little tight with two masks etc but I'm thinking TSA removed it or I got unlucky with the bag handlers or maybe even airplane pressure busted the top button. It seems odd though right cause that button is flush with the machine. Very strange.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, can't imagine how it could be damaged unless opened. I take it back, that points to a physical bag inspection. You could drop the carry case or have luggage placed on it and nothing would happen. Sorry man.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2017, 03:49 PM)justMongo Wrote: @Ray:  You can say Supplier #2   In fact typing it with the # symbol now creates a link to the supplier page -- an update from our Admin.

Hell, I'm not shy of saying SecondwindCPAP.  Not even any need to say Supplier Numero Dos-o.

Just like poking the rule occasionally.........

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2017, 10:35 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Holden4th, the FAA compliance stickers are on the machine.  Just look at the labels, and you don't need anything else.

SR, thanks for that. Emirates won't know I have the machine on board until I pull it out of my backpack. As I'm flying Bizzo over and First class on the way back I'm hoping that using my machine plugged into their power supply won't cause any problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I carry be Z1 Auto in my backpack weekly, never take it out and never mention it to TSA, TSA has never mentioned it to me, it just goes through the xray with my backpack.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2017, 10:07 AM)bill-e Wrote: I carry be Z1 Auto in my backpack weekly, never take it out and never mention it to TSA, TSA has never mentioned it to me, it just goes through the xray with my backpack.

I'm TSA Pre.  My ResMed A10 usually goes through with no issue but you can only have one larger piece of electronics in a bag so if my laptop and CPAP machine are both in the same bag, it gets culled by the X-Ray station for a manual inspection.   I fly enough that I just put my laptop and CPAP machine in separate small zip canvas bags and feed those individually through the conveyer.  At the other end, I stuff those little canvas bags back into my roll-aboard.

Among other things, even if I have an overhead space disaster on the flight, I can still at least quickly get my mission-critical laptop and CPAP machine out of my bag before they make me gate check it.

A Z1 is smaller than an A10 so YMMV.   An A10 fits in my roll-aboard just fine so I never felt compelled to spend the bucks on an ultra-portable.   I've also never needed to use battery power on an airplane.  I take the Boston/London-Heathrow day flight to Europe and I've had in-seat 110v power in business class the couple of times I've flown to Asia with a CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ive flown too many times to mention with my cpap in my checked bag. Never has it been damaged and only once (recently) did they lose my bag for one night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2017, 04:40 AM)cant_sleep_in_nj Wrote: Ive flown too many times to mention with my cpap in my checked bag. Never has it been damaged and only once (recently) did they lose my bag for one night.

Just because you've managed to beat the odds so many times doesn't mean that it isn't risky to put your Cpap in your checked luggage.  Personally I wouldn't take the chance.  But then I guess we all have different tolerances to risk...

Quite a few years ago when I flew to Europe, the airline lost our luggage and it took 5 days to get our luggage back.  This was before I was using CPAP but it was a huge inconvenience.  Sometimes people have luggage go missing entirely and they never get found.  Why subject yourself to the chance of damage or something going missing?  I'll be keeping my CPAP firmly with me when we travel to Europe this summer, that's for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've flown with my machines for over 20 years and never even thought about packing them in my checked luggage! What would you have done if they lost your bag, or sent it to the wrong airport? NEVER EVER check your xPAP device; make sure it's properly tagged as a medical device and carry it with you. The worst that TSA will do to it is wipe it down, checking for explosive particles.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,008 6 hours ago
Last Post: Poolboy
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,368 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 333 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
Question My CMS50I Broke Brewskie 8 306 01-10-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Brewskie
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 426 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Alternative Part? sambo42xa 1 424 08-27-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: sambo42xa
  Need help with part identity F&P Icon Novo Vsidles 2 382 05-03-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Vsidles

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.