Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tachypnea and Being Awakened during the night.
RE: Tachypnea and Being Awakened during the night.
FWIW, we've seen it before. It's pretty messed up and while your doctor may have other ideas, I know that the Aircurve 10 Vauto fixes this by allowing you to set a minimum inspiration time (TiMin) and holding IPAP pressure long enough to stabilize breathing. Without that ability the EPR or pressure support just follows the very erratic fast breathing. This kind of pattern will normally allow oxygen desaturations because it is insufficient to clear the dead space in your airway of CO2. This can be verified with a recording oximeter. I would think that if this is a routine feature of your therapy, an argument could be made to justify that bilevel is medically necessary. I don't think you need a bilevel with backup rate like an ST or ASV, just one that can provide pressure support and stabilize breathing using the TiMin, TiMax setting and some trigger and cycle sensitivity.

I think this may not be entirely tachypenea. If you look carefully you see numerous peaks in the inspiratory period, but your inhale just wavers and never really gets going. It's easier to count the expiration dips. Adding a dashed line on the flow chart at zero makes this a lot easier. Just right-click the left margin and select dashed lines and zero in the context menu. If we count the "real" exhales, I get a resp rate of 24 to 34 BPM. The problem may be severe flow limitation that bilevel could resolve.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider thank you for all of your help.  I called my sleep Doctor today and I have an appointment with him this Friday. He is going to review the data with me and decide what to do next.  I will  keep this post updated whenever I get any new information.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I got to the doctor and he gave me a Rx for an oximeter.  I have had the oximeter now for two weeks and I have recorded my levels every night.  My oxygen level has never gone below 90%.  But by the time I got the Oximeter and started taking the readings for the most part the tachypnea has disappeared.  I have attached an average sample night from sleepyhead.  Thank you everyone for your help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like tachypenea has self-resolved and left you with just a couple OA clusters during the night. Those would probably resolve with a soft cervical collar. In any event, this looks a lot better,and time has done the trick.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for all of your help@ Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,341 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,234 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,201 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.