Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Take a look at my SleepyHead data?
RE: Take a look at my SleepyHead data?
(08-21-2016, 07:07 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: While 15 is a reasonably high pressure, it's not unusual. What is you basis for saying it is of "dubious value"? Presumably it was prescribed following a sleep study. While these are not infallible, they are usually a good place to start, and much better than "a feeling".
(1) The whole point of APAP is that it should increase the pressure to meet the need. Setting such a massive MINIMUM pressure defeats this - regardless of any sleep study.
(2) As several posts above have pointed out, using excess pressure can cause excess apneas - again it defeats the purpose.
(3) When the recorded data shows about 60 central apneas and next to no (possibly no real) obstructive apneas in the night, the pressure is clearly far too high. The OP's post implies that this is a trend he is seeing regularly, and as such is worth far more than a sleep study in which the patient has to sleep under exceptional conditions. Furthermore the doctors/technicians in charge of sleep studies are fallible, as are also their equipment. They should be measured up against results in real sleep every night, not believed blindly.
(4) The question of "compliance" speaks volumes about the effectiveness of the treatment in the industry as a whole! When the doctor and/or equipment mess up and make things worse for the patient, "non-compliance" is unsurprising. The problem is often the arrogance and failures of insight on the part of the practitioners. (Of course, there can also be non-compliance for irrational reasons, I don't take issue with that).
(5) By setting the minumum pressure too high, the APAP device is NOT BEING GIVEN A CHANCE to do the job for which it was carefully designed, which is to attempt to titrate the optimum pressure at any given moment to reduce obstructive apneas while avoiding unnecessary and unhelpful excessive pressure. If you don't give the machine a chance to work the way it is designed to work, and you are not getting good results, how do you know that the machine cannot take care of it properly when it is allowed to do its job as designed?

I didn't say the very high minimum pressure settings are wrong, I said they are dubious. You or anyone else is free to disagree, but I consider that the above 5 points amply justify that opinion.

(08-21-2016, 07:07 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I'd be very reluctant to take this substance in any dose at all. See here: (big-pharma propaganda site)

... snip

Taking 0.6-1 gram of the leaf is said to be toxic, and 4 grams may be fatal.
If you want to blindly believe the multi-trillion dollar pharma industry that is from time to time fined billions of dollars for fraud that is your problem not mine. We are talking about a few NANOGRAMS of a plant that has been used medicinally for breathing disorders for centuries, so please do not compare it with a dose MILLIONS of times greater. The VAST MAJORITY of pharma industry drugs are massively more dangerous than one globule of Lobelia inflata at D2 concentration, as are the majority of processed food products and large agribusiness products. Such, unfortunately, is the malaise of big business and rampant monopolised-market capitalism.

Isn't it wonderful that we have blogs such as this where people can share their own experiences with others, who can then judge for themselves and compare with their own experiences, instead of having to believe everything force-fed to them through the mass media and big-pharma sponsored medical industry!

I have been taking Lobelia every night for the last 7 years, and have found it very helpful for me. By sharing that information with others on this blog, others can benefit from my experience. Keeping an open mind tends to be very helpful!
(08-22-2016, 01:30 AM)Bhante Wrote:
(08-21-2016, 07:07 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Taking 0.6-1 gram of the leaf is said to be toxic, and 4 grams may be fatal.

We are talking about a few NANOGRAMS of a plant that has been used medicinally for breathing disorders for centuries, so please do not compare it with a dose MILLIONS of times greater.

In which case a like amount of distilled water would be just a safe and just as effective.

Quote:The VAST MAJORITY of pharma industry drugs are massively more dangerous than one globule of Lobelia inflata at D2 concentration

Many pharmaceuticals are dangerous when used inappropriately which is we require them to be prescribed by medical professionals with appropriate degrees.

At least the Pharmaceutical companies have to prove that the given amount of drug is actually in the pills before they sell it. And at least they have to do double blind studies to prove them safe and effective for their intended use. But even assuming that "Big Pharma" is the very pit of evil that does *not* prove or even give evidence that alternatives are any better or safer. "You are bad, therefore I am good" is just terrible logic.

Quote:have been taking Lobelia every night for the last 7 years, and have found it very helpful for me. By sharing that information with others on this blog, others can benefit from my experience. Keeping an open mind tends to be very helpful!

I would say that you've been taking a placebo and found it helpful - it's called the "placebo effect" and is real.

Please refrain from making recommendations for medicines unless you are a licensed professional with the appropriate degrees and licenses.

Allopathic medicine does have plenty of problems, but Homeopathy is just nonsense.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Oh dear! What a lot of ego problems around here. What a shame!
(08-22-2016, 11:02 PM)Bhante Wrote: Oh dear! What a lot of ego problems around here. What a shame!

So you are a psychiatrist now, eh? I think there is definitely someone in this thread with an ego problem, but we disagree about who it is.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Ok, perhaps we can let this discussion rest for now. As Sleeprider said, we've been sidetracked and left no room for the original poster to come back to us.

Randman - please feel free to come back in and let us know if we've been able to address your problem.
(08-23-2016, 08:12 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 11:02 PM)Bhante Wrote: Oh dear! What a lot of ego problems around here. What a shame!

So you are a psychiatrist now, eh? I think there is definitely someone in this thread with an ego problem, but we disagree about who it is.

Mr Seedhouse, the purpose of this forum is to share knowledge and experience for the benefit of other users. Your behaviour is really disgusting and utterly childish. I suggest you try practicing a little introspection. If you do so, others will also benefit from it. Instead of mindlessly deriding others who have different views to your own, a more productive strategy would be to examine their suggestions to see what beneficial wisdom might be contained therein. Going around swinging a sledgehammer trying to demolish other peoples suggestions tends only to enhance your own blindness in the long run.
OK gentlemen. I think this discussion has gone too far off topic and is not serving any useful purpose. It is certainly not helping Randman with his original question.

Thread is now closed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,683 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 920 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 812 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,323 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  SpO2 vs CPAP data in Sleepyhead Albercook 8 2,403 09-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Albercook
  Transferring to new Hard Drive - Sleepyhead data files Mosquitobait 3 1,644 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Two months of SleepyHead Data FirstNoele 4 1,578 05-16-2018, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.