Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taken my mask off the last three nights...
Taken my mask off the last three nights...
...within two hours of going to sleep and I don't know why. Nothing in the data shows anything that would indicate a reason. The previous two nights to the last three everything was just fine, stayed on all night. I am confused. Anything that I should be looking for? This btw was using a ffm.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taken my mask off the last three nights...
(09-11-2013, 06:45 AM)remltr Wrote: ...within two hours of going to sleep and I don't know why. Nothing in the data shows anything that would indicate a reason. The previous two nights to the last three everything was just fine, stayed on all night. I am confused. Anything that I should be looking for? This btw was using a ffm.

How long have you been using your CPAP and how long have you been using a FFM? I have done this before and I don't know why I did it. Maybe it is b/c you aren't used to the face mask yet? I dunno.
Can you download your data in Rescan and compare the data to what you have in sleepyhead for those 3 nights? Just a thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried nasal pillows and the nose only mask. Didn't work well for me.
I've been using the Mirage Quattro Pro FFM for 4 years.
Things that make it tolerable:
a comfortable cushion on the face.
if it leaks, I tighten the straps. I cannot stand any leak.
Only things that are sometimes uncomfortable:
Too hot air flow due to the humidifier.
Heatstrap makes my head hot on warm evenings.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on cpap for a month. I started out with this mask and have tried a couple ffm, including this one, a nasal pillow, a hybrid and an oral.
Although I am not totally comfortable with this mask, up until now it has been the overall best in terms of not waking up with leaks.

And now this issue arises. I don't want it to become a habit. I just wake up and there is the mask laying on bed next to me or on the floor. And then I am so tired that I don't put it back on, which I know I should. I may have to super glue it to my face.

I would stick with the nasal pillow except that I have to really tighten it to get it to stay in place and that puts a lot pressure on the bottom of my septum. Also the chin strap doesn't stay in place either.

I think the thing I need to do is be intubated every night and have my hands tied behind my back. That should keep the air flowing. The only problem with that is I live alone and no would be able to untie my hands in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

I think the thing I need to do is be intubated every night and have my hands tied behind my back. That should keep the air flowing. The only problem with that is I live alone and no would be able to untie my hands in the morning.
[/quote]

well, if you can tie your hands at night, you would be able to untie them lol

seriously, I have posted about a new mask I was told about yesterday that is considered a full face mask but has the pillows that go in your nose with a piece that covers your mouth. It allows ease in reading or watching tv although I don't do that with my mask on as when I put the mask on, I am going to go to sleep. I think it may be called a mirage liberty but mine has not arrived here yet. Maybe your mask is not comfortable and that is why you are taking it off now. Just a thought. Sorry I don't have more solutions for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remltr, intubation might work, but the drugs to suppress the gag reflex suck Wink

My wife started off the same...she wasn't used to CPAP at all and, in moving during the night, would knock the mask slightly...then peel it off in her sleep because of a leak or because it was cinched down to prevent a leak, etc, etc.

Surprisingly, she found a cloth mask liner helped her a bit...less pressure / irritation from the mask itself let her adapt to wearing the ffm all night a bit better. She also added a couple pillows (partly to help with something else, partly to help her reduce the amount of movement). Just some thoughts Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2013, 12:17 PM)me50 Wrote: seriously, I have posted about a new mask I was told about yesterday that is considered a full face mask but has the pillows that go in your nose with a piece that covers your mouth. It allows ease in reading or watching tv although I don't do that with my mask on as when I put the mask on, I am going to go to sleep. I think it may be called a mirage liberty but mine has not arrived here yet. Maybe your mask is not comfortable and that is why you are taking it off now. Just a thought. Sorry I don't have more solutions for you.

I looked at that mask on one of the commercial sites and it looks very similar to the hybrid I have, just more expensive. It it is hard to tell from the pictures I saw, but the pillow stems on the one you are describing appear to have a straight shaft where the one I have is accordion shaped which may allow a little more give in them, allowing for some variation in the distance between the mouthpiece where they are mounted and the nostril.

I only have one other option to try and that is the full face mask which surrounds the eyes, but I am a side sleeper, which may not work for me.
(09-11-2013, 01:28 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Remltr, intubation might work, but the drugs to suppress the gag reflex suck Wink

My wife started off the same...she wasn't used to CPAP at all and, in moving during the night, would knock the mask slightly...then peel it off in her sleep because of a leak or because it was cinched down to prevent a leak, etc, etc.

Surprisingly, she found a cloth mask liner helped her a bit...less pressure / irritation from the mask itself let her adapt to wearing the ffm all night a bit better. She also added a couple pillows (partly to help with something else, partly to help her reduce the amount of movement). Just some thoughts Smile

Any info on where to obtain the cloth mask liner?
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #1 has a new type of cloth FFM available now.
"SleepWeaver Anew"
You might want to give that a try.

Cheers!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2013, 02:38 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Supplier #1 has a new type of cloth FFM available now.
"SleepWeaver Anew"
You might want to give that a try.

Cheers!

Smile

I was just looking at that, trying to get a feel on peoples feedback. I was doing that as I was contemplating trying a total face mask. This stuff is expensive to try out especially when the medical provider doesn't carry it and insurance won't cover any portion of it.

I am now more frustrated with this process and not sleeping well than I was before I had a sleep study done and didn't know I had an apnea issue. I tried the nasal pillows again last night in order to break the cycle with taking off the ffm three nights in a row. That lasted about 3 hours before it was leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I went to the doc yesterday and explained my frustration. He gave me a 30 day (with one refill) Rx for some sleep medication, forgot the name at the moment, starts with a "N" and is used for multiple purposes, including leg kicks which he said I had done during my sleep study.

Took one pill and slept most of the night with the ffm. Woke up once to find the lower part of the mask in my mouth. Must have started to take it off and stopped, I don't know. I may try a half pill tonight and see if that works as well. I feel if I can break the cycle and get some time under my belt with the mask (in effect getting used to it), I will finally get some restful sleep. I know I am still a rookie at this yet, but I don't suffer well waiting for results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 247 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 210 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 451 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 581 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 450 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] First 2 Nights of CPAP (help?) jp0808 1 372 11-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.