Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking a leap
Taking a leap
So, I'm taking the leap from the Resmed s9 autoset, to a PR machine today, after firing my DME this morning. I'm not sure which one I'm going with yet, still researching, but it will be fully data capable. Who loves their PR machine more than their Resmed machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taking a leap
(08-26-2015, 10:47 AM)truetopath Wrote: So, I'm taking the leap from the Resmed s9 autoset, to a PR machine today, after firing my DME this morning. I'm not sure which one I'm going with yet, still researching, but it will be fully data capable. Who loves their PR machine more than their Resmed machine?

Is this a poll???
Never used a ResMed machine, but I'm sure I would like it.
I've used a PR 560 Auto machine for 10 months now, and can't say anything negative about it, except the display is in black and white and sometimes hard to read. It's a good solid machine, not as pretty as the ResMed, but that part doesn't impress me.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Opal! I'm not really trying to poll. I've had the s9 autoset for 6 months and it's been good. I've heard awesome things about the machine you have, and I think I'm going to go for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
From looking at my son's Sleepyhead reports, it looks like it does a lot of hunt and peck - pulsing up 2 cmh2o every 5 or 10 min. If you are sensitive to pressure change, might that be bothersome? I don't know what I am talking about, though - this is something I have seen in his charts, but not felt - and He has never been on a Resmed to compare. I don't want to trade him machines very bad - I am leery of swapping germs Tongue
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it does do that hunt and peck thing. It goes up 1.5cm, then back down. At first, I thought I was waking up and sensitive to it, so I had been experimenting and went to straight pressure for a couple weeks, but didn't notice any difference. Now I'm used to it.
Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having used both the S9 and the PRS 60, i can say honestly both are good machine - I prefer the PRS, but it really is six of one, half a dozen of the other - if you DO get a PRS, ask for a heated host humidifier from the start - you can use it heated or unheated, but if you get a standard humidifier, and later you want a heated hose, you have to upgrade the humidifier, no fun. Tank cleaning is a doddle, just shake the water out, take out your card, turn off the humidifier and the auto off, and let it run for 20 minutes to half an hour, -voila, dry tank and tube, no risk of anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2015, 01:31 PM)DocWils Wrote: Having used both the S9 and the PRS 60, i can say honestly both are good machine - I prefer the PRS, but it really is six of one, half a dozen of the other - if you DO get a PRS, ask for a heated host humidifier from the start - you can use it heated or unheated, but if you get a standard humidifier, and later you want a heated hose, you have to upgrade the humidifier, no fun. Tank cleaning is a doddle, just shake the water out, take out your card, turn off the humidifier and the auto off, and let it run for 20 minutes to half an hour, -voila, dry tank and tube, no risk of anything.

Thanks Doc!
Post Reply Post Reply
also, be aware that if you want to use a heated hose on the PR560, you need an 80w power supply. The unit without the heated hose comes with a 60w PS, and the heated hose will be disabled in that case. My son ran into that...
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi truetopath,
I hope you find a good DME, sometimes, that seems oxymoronic,I know, but they can be found, )Ha-Ha.)
As far as respironics and Resmed, they are both comprable machines.
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2015, 01:53 PM)DariaVader Wrote: also, be aware that if you want to use a heated hose on the PR560, you need an 80w power supply. The unit without the heated hose comes with a 60w PS, and the heated hose will be disabled in that case. My son ran into that...
Which is why I said get the heated hose form the start - the PRS60 is sold in kit form, so the correct power supply will come with it if you get it from the start.

I am also informed by Philips in their regular equipment mailings (the junk I get in my office.....) that the PRS560 now comes standard with 80W in Europe whichever kit you buy, although they didn't say for N.A. if that is the case. Mind you, these mailings are intended for hospital use devices, so I don't know if end users are the same....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 356 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Taking Home sleep test with snore guard HenryECole81 2 705 10-27-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: eok361
Ohmy [CPAP] Doc taking forever to give me new CPAP settings or BiPAP Apnea45 22 3,376 08-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Apnea45
  [CPAP] Taking a look at my chart :) hbvlr 1 450 07-13-2023, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New user keep taking off mask while sleeping hexlabsnick 4 606 06-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: hexlabsnick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.