Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking a leap
RE: Taking a leap
(08-26-2015, 01:53 PM)DariaVader Wrote: also, be aware that if you want to use a heated hose on the PR560, you need an 80w power supply. The unit without the heated hose comes with a 60w PS, and the heated hose will be disabled in that case. My son ran into that...

Awesome! Thanks. I got my new 560p today, with the heated hose and the 80w power supply.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're gonna love it - just make sure you put in on a sound insulated surface - fold a towel under it or something, it will dampen any residual vibration from the blower. Also, the tank can give a bit of echo until it heats up, so preheat it and problem gone (hold down the big button for five seconds until a little wavy line lights up next to the screen).
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2015, 05:02 PM)DocWils Wrote: You're gonna love it - just make sure you put in on a sound insulated surface - fold a towel under it or something, it will dampen any residual vibration from the blower. Also, the tank can give a bit of echo until it heats up, so preheat it and problem gone (hold down the big button for five seconds until a little wavy line lights up next to the screen).

Thanks for the tips! This is my first PR machine. Any other tips?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2015, 11:36 AM)DariaVader Wrote: From looking at my son's Sleepyhead reports, it looks like it does a lot of hunt and peck - pulsing up 2 cmh2o every 5 or 10 min. If you are sensitive to pressure change, might that be bothersome? I don't know what I am talking about, though - this is something I have seen in his charts, but not felt - and He has never been on a Resmed to compare. I don't want to trade him machines very bad - I am leery of swapping germs Tongue

This concerns me too. Sporadically bumping up the pressure by 2cm and doing nothing with it has been my experience lately. Lots of hunt and peek going on all night with no resulting changes in baseline pressure. It makes no sense at all and I'm worried it will disturb sleep. I've switched to regular CPAP now any way and doing better with that, so I don't have to concern myself. Not sure about this auto thing. There's no evidence it is any better than regular CPAP (correct me if I am wrong). There was one night the machine went crazy and kept going up to max for no reason (saw that on sleepy head) ...nice of it ...got very little sleep that night. I don't like being bossed around at the best of times, especially by a machine that seemingly doesn't know what it is doing. I did collect a lot of data from the times when auto was set to guide with the CPAP setting to use. I like the raw data I get from the PR auto machine. Looking back through the flow rate charts with a professional was also very helpful ...C-flex and A-flex were causing me a lot of problems and they are now off for good. Gave them a good try though. Doing much better on straight CPAP at 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2015, 06:42 PM)C-PAP Wrote:
(08-26-2015, 11:36 AM)DariaVader Wrote: From looking at my son's Sleepyhead reports, it looks like it does a lot of hunt and peck - pulsing up 2 cmh2o every 5 or 10 min. If you are sensitive to pressure change, might that be bothersome? I don't know what I am talking about, though - this is something I have seen in his charts, but not felt - and He has never been on a Resmed to compare. I don't want to trade him machines very bad - I am leery of swapping germs Tongue

This concerns me too. Sporadically bumping up the pressure by 2cm and doing nothing with it has been my experience lately. Lots of hunt and peek going on all night with no resulting changes in baseline pressure. It makes no sense at all and I'm worried it will disturb sleep. I've switched to regular CPAP now any way and doing better with that, so I don't have to concern myself. Not sure about this auto thing. There's no evidence it is any better than regular CPAP (correct me if I am wrong). There was one night the machine went crazy and kept going up to max for no reason (saw that on sleepy head) ...nice of it ...got very little sleep that night. I don't like being bossed around at the best of times, especially by a machine that seemingly doesn't know what it is doing. I did collect a lot of data from the times when auto was set to guide with the CPAP setting to use. I like the raw data I get from the PR auto machine. Looking back through the flow rate charts with a professional was also very helpful ...C-flex and A-flex were causing me a lot of problems and they are now off for good. Gave them a good try though. Doing much better on straight CPAP at 8.

Did you set your mask type and your pressure relief correctly? And hose type? It doesn't hunt and peck nearly as much as what you describe, so I wonder?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2015, 06:19 PM)truetopath Wrote:
(08-26-2015, 05:02 PM)DocWils Wrote: You're gonna love it - just make sure you put in on a sound insulated surface - fold a towel under it or something, it will dampen any residual vibration from the blower. Also, the tank can give a bit of echo until it heats up, so preheat it and problem gone (hold down the big button for five seconds until a little wavy line lights up next to the screen).

Thanks for the tips! This is my first PR machine. Any other tips?

Oh, tons, but maybe you need to ask some specifics, and see the above post as well - properly setting your device is part of what makes it work for you.

Because I have my machine set on a table that is higher than my bed, but close enough to my ear, the echo is a bit more obvious, and I blimp the device by wrapping the chamber up in a few towels (never the blower side, just the tank side), but if the device is below the bed and not in direct ear shot, that problem will not occur.

Also set your mask type - there are tables online that describe their own brand of masks, and if you use Resmed masks or another party's mask, simply choose the equivalent type and use that number. If you use a heated hose, the hose size is set automatically, but if you don't, then you have to set the correct bore. And if you turn off the heated hose (in summer it is not necessary) then your humidity setting run from 0-5 - I use 4, but that is what I need - your needs may be other. 5 on the whole is very wet and you will get rain-out if not careful. When heated, you have two controls, the humidity settings, form 1-3, and he heat settings. You will have to play with those to get it right for you, and for each season. The biggest problem most people have is the fine particle filter - which way in? Answer, the printed side faces out. Older filter didn't have this, and you had a dull side and a shiny side, the shiny went in. The black sponge filter, the large dust filter, sits on the outside of that and holds the fine filter in place. If you use properly distilled water and follow my drying instructions, you won't have to clean your hose weekly, but every second week or more. The mask, however, must be cleaned every few days with dish soap, or the oils form your skin will cause bacterial build up and degrade the silicon and rubber. One washed, stick it back on the machine and blow it dry. The blower can take an extra hour of use a day without seriously degrading the working life of the device, unless you already sleep nine hours per night.

Sleepyhead is your friend for all readings, and will help you to adjust your settings based on how your nightlies look in the graphs. For instance, on my graphs, I saw that I had clusters of CAs and OAs at the beginning of the night - I deduced that the start pressure, 4, was too low and the ramp was too long - I upped it a bit a night until that cluster disappeared (7 is my magic number, with a 5 minute ramp). so work with Sleepyhead to get yourself fine adjusted. All clinical settings can be accessed by holding down the ramp and big button together for 5 seconds. So you can play to your heart's content. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2015, 07:30 PM)DocWils Wrote:
(08-26-2015, 06:42 PM)C-PAP Wrote:

Did you set your mask type and your pressure relief correctly? And hose type? It doesn't hunt and peck nearly as much as what you describe, so I wonder?

Mask type not set. Hose type heated and set for that so should be ok. Here's an example below. Incidentally, I don't know why sleepyhead says (bottom left) heated tubing - no and humidifier - disconnected. I just checked and it is all set up correctly.

[attachment=1705]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate is huge - 7 - 22 is not a good intentional leak rate, even on an FFM - it should be closer to 3 and this may well explain the hunt and peck going on - your mask is leaking too much and the pressure is therefore not constant enough for the machine to get a clear reading so it pecks a bit. Even then, your actual pressure settings aren't bad at all, as are your AHI readings. From the settings, it looks like you have turned off the heated hose, or it didn't need to activate(it DOES respond to room temperature). Remember, there are two settings to a heated hose - the humidity levels and the heating levels. Have a look in your hose settings. Also, make sure your hose is correctly attached and your humidifier is correctly pressed into the CPAP, that all the contacts are cleanly made, just in case, although I don't think that is a problem here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome and very helpful posts DocWils. Thanks Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't mind the leaking though. I can stop it with a really tight chin strap but I hate that. It means I can just use the unobtrusive nasal pillow mask. The leak rate doesn't go into "large leak" territory and it seems to work ok and keep my AHI under 1 (around .6 average). Works well I think for straight forward CPAP which is where I seem to have ended up.

Am I wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 118 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 357 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Taking Home sleep test with snore guard HenryECole81 2 705 10-27-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: eok361
Ohmy [CPAP] Doc taking forever to give me new CPAP settings or BiPAP Apnea45 22 3,376 08-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Apnea45
  [CPAP] Taking a look at my chart :) hbvlr 1 450 07-13-2023, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New user keep taking off mask while sleeping hexlabsnick 4 606 06-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: hexlabsnick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.