Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking mask off during sleep
Taking mask off during sleep
Hi, I have been having this issue off and on for a few months, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I put my mask on when I go to bed, and sometimes when I wake up in the morning my mask is off and lying someplace on the bed. But this doesn't happen all the time. Some mornings I wake up and the mask is still on my face as it should be (and obviously I feel like I get better sleep on those nights, but the nights that my mask comes off are still better than not using the mask at all). I'm not sure why it comes off at night sometimes. I can't tighten the straps any more than it is or it will be uncomfortable. I do sometimes get a stuffy nose at night, but I found that blowing my nose before bed, even if it doesn't seem to need it, greatly reduces the chances that it will get stuffy during the night. The times that my mask comes off, though, doesn't seem to correlate with the nights my nose gets stuffy.

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taking mask off during sleep
Hi Sweet72947, WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good that you don't tighten your mask too much. Are you having a problem with leaks that might cause you to take your mask off?
Hang in there and someone will be along to help you shortly, best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Overtightening the mask can lead to taking it off during the night since it's uncomfortable. As this problem improved since you firsst started on the machine? It's something many of us do- I did-, but find we "outgrow" this tendency after a while. You can loosely tape the mask to your face so that taking it off will wake you up.
It's a very good indication of success with therapy that you are taking care of problems as you go along..

I remember being puzzled on waking up and finding my mask somewhere besides my face. I have also gone to the bathroom and didn't turn the machine on when back in bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
couple of thoughts..
1..get a small tuft of hair and use paper clip or hair pin and clip the hair to a mask strap.. should wake you up if you remove it durin th night..
2. if possible if you have a chin strap. put the strap 'over' your mask.
3. if no chin strap, then a small ace bandage over the top might help..
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found wearing chinstrap over the mask helps keep the mask on during the night
its important to find the right mask ... fit properly and feel comfortable
it might help to wear the mask with the machine on during the day watching TV or reading
have you tried anything for stuffy nose, its common reaction to CPAP
adjusting the humidifier and sinus rinses can helps

Un-stuffing Your Stuffy Nose - Steven Y. Park, M.D
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. My mask doesn't have a chin strap, but I might try taping it. I didn't really have this problem when I first started on the machine. I've had my machine for around four years I think, and this problem has been off and on for the past two years. I haven't really found any patterns that would be explain why I take my mask off some nights and not others. My sleep apnea is a mild case.

I will definitely check out that link for the stuffy nose! I used to use medicated nasal spray quite a lot, but I cut that out of my life months ago and haven't used it since.
Post Reply Post Reply
I knew someone who used to pin the hose to his pillow using velcro and a big diaper pin. That way when he took off the mask, it didn't go that far and the noise woke him up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 353 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.