Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
Hi,
I've been having issues in taking off my CPAP FF mask and hose while I sleep, I'm a mouth breather also dry nasal passages. I use saline solution. I'm frustrated and only get about 3-4 hrs CPAP therapy, it happens almost every night for the last 2 weeks singe i got my new CPAP machine. My machine is set 5-20 cm/H2O, and and have my humidity set to Auto on my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.
I have 3 CPAP masks, Resmed F10, Resmed F30i, Resmed Quattro Fx.
My machine reports large leaks, as the Resmed F10 seals poorly and it's flimsy.
My CPAP mask of choice in many years is the Resmed Quattro Fx, I decided to switch to the F10 as my current mask, but I regret it because I have leak issues with it.

My CPAP supplier sent me a Resmed F30i as a tester mask, but I don't like it as much, because I have nasal congestion issues.
I don't find it comfortable. The F10 hurts the bridge of my nose, so I'm reverting to my Quattro Fx mask.
I feel awful in the morning and during the day when I only get 3-4 hrs therapy.
I've been on CPAP therapy since 2008, and had this issue recently taking off my mask while I'm sleeping, it seems that I can't tolerate the pressure and subconsciously take off my mask or hose.
Just wondering if it's the mask being uncomfortable or my start pressure is too low?
It was set at 5-20.
I had a nap this morning and set to 6-20cm to see..I had 1.6 sleep events.

I have a general anxiety disorder and take 0.5mg Ativan at bedtime and 75mg Trazodone to help me sleep.
Just wondering if this is affecting my breathing that I can't tolerate the pressure as well.
I also get high AHI with the F30i mask that last week I had an AHI of 13!
I feel awful in the morning and groggy and brain fog when I only get 3-4 hrs of CPAP therapy.
I'm getting frustrated, and I know that sleeping without the CPAP machine is not good and unhealthy, and feel like crap the next day.
I was scheduled for a sleep study before the covid-19 pandemic to get re-assessed.
I also gained weight, that might be contributing to the issue.

I downloaded the OSCAR software and imported my SD card data, I'm attaching my daily graphs of last night's sleep.
Any suggestions would be appreciated to help me to continue having longer times in my CPAP therapy.

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
I'm new to this CPAP game, only 2 weeks into it, but I found anything under 8 for a starting pressure and I felt like I was fighting the machine. I fortunately am not a mouth breather, and started with the nasal cushion but it didn't match my nose, so went with the pillows and have been doing much better, but there has got to be more to this as I feel worse during the day than before starting the therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi slingshot,
I set my starting pressure last night at 6cm/h2o and had an AHI of 1.9, only slept 2.0 hrs with the CPAP.
I keep taking of my mask or hose in my sleep, the CPAP readout says about 30 minutes after I connected.
It's a bad habit and unconsciously take off my mask.
It's frustrating!
Hoping that someone on the apnea board can figure out what's going on looking at my OSCAR data graphs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if a chin strap would help you, make it a more conscious effort to take it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
louman1961,
Be sure that your machine is set to full face mask, and if you haven't already done so, read the
Mask Primer.  You may be able to get some hints on adjusting your mask better.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Mask fit is one of the biggest issues that most folk face.  If it's not comfortable, then you are unknowingly pulling it off.   You also may subconsciously be pulling the mask off due to your pressure range of 5-20. A minimum of 5 is too low.

I think you should shoot for a narrow range of pressure until you can sort out your mask and leak issues. Your pressure is at 10-12cm for most of the night. I would stay in Auto Mode and set the minimum pressure at 9cm and the maximum at 9cm. Set EPR to 2. This should give you a more comfortable night.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OpalRose,
I want to thank you in replying to my CPAP issues and looking at my OSCAR data graphs, I will try out your suggestions and see if there is an improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your welcome! You never know if something works unless you try it. Either way, give it a couple days and repost your graph.

Getting a good mask fit though is important.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2020, 06:06 PM)louman1961 Wrote: Hi,
I've been having issues in taking off my CPAP FF mask and hose while I sleep, I'm a mouth breather also dry nasal passages. I use saline solution. I'm frustrated and only get about 3-4 hrs CPAP therapy, it happens almost every night for the last 2 weeks singe i got my new CPAP machine. My machine is set 5-20 cm/H2O, and and have my humidity set to Auto on my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.
I have 3 CPAP masks, Resmed F10, Resmed F30i, Resmed Quattro Fx.
My machine reports large leaks, as the Resmed F10 seals poorly and it's flimsy.
My CPAP mask of choice in many years is the Resmed Quattro Fx, I decided to switch to the F10 as my current mask, but I regret it because I have leak issues with it.

My CPAP supplier sent me a Resmed F30i as a tester mask, but I don't like it as much, because I have nasal congestion issues.
I don't find it comfortable. The F10 hurts the bridge of my nose, so I'm reverting to my Quattro Fx mask.
I feel awful in the morning and during the day when I only get 3-4 hrs therapy.
I've been on CPAP therapy since 2008, and had this issue recently taking off my mask while I'm sleeping, it seems that I can't tolerate the pressure and subconsciously take off my mask or hose.
Just wondering if it's the mask being uncomfortable or my start pressure is too low?
It was set at 5-20.
I had a nap this morning and set to 6-20cm to see..I had 1.6 sleep events.

I have a general anxiety disorder and take 0.5mg Ativan at bedtime and 75mg Trazodone to help me sleep.
Just wondering if this is affecting my breathing that I can't tolerate the pressure as well.
I also get high AHI with the F30i mask that last week I had an AHI of 13!
I feel awful in the morning and groggy and brain fog when I only get 3-4 hrs of CPAP therapy.
I'm getting frustrated, and I know that sleeping without the CPAP machine is not good and unhealthy, and feel like crap the next day.
I was scheduled for a sleep study before the covid-19 pandemic to get re-assessed.
I also gained weight, that might be contributing to the issue.

I downloaded the OSCAR software and imported my SD card data, I'm attaching my daily graphs of last night's sleep.
Any suggestions would be appreciated to help me to continue having longer times in my CPAP therapy.

Thanks!

Hey friend,
                sorry to hear of your dilemma.. it really is ashame. I feel for you !

Having an anxiety disorder and having a face mask doesn't sound like they mix, maybe taking a look at nasal set up would help. Also checking with your Primary or whomever about your Meds.

Maybe before you change your pressures.... try a different breathing gear set up. If you contact your Dr and get an excuse it will clear you of your Ins Co, with coverage.

As far as the congestion.... after a long spring bout... I use sudafed..(BTW it last alot longer than 6 hours.. it's wonderful !) that keeps me clear all day, and part of the night. Unfortunately, I get one side of my nose clogged but I get up and blow and a half hour later I'm back in bed. I have to use my heated humidfier and that helps somewhat... at lest its easier to blow.

Here's the thing.. the main thing I see it comfort is key too..... bed, pillow, temp, room light, transition to under the covers, etc... 

As you figure things out, 6 hours plus will be better therapy wise. 

Keep us posted...  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OpalRose,
I did set my min an max pressures to 9, but I found that pressure was not comfortable to start with.
I set my min to 6cm, I got an AHI of 3.8 and 3.39 hrs. almost 4hrs.
I'm using my Resmed Quattro Fx FFM, it has the better seal and less leaks.
I do not like my Resmed F10 FFM, it has poor seal and somewhat flimsy, my least favourite.
The F30i doesn't work for me, because I can't tolerate the blast of air pressure under my nose and get congested.
My next mask purchase, I would like to try the Resmed F20 or the F&P Simplus Mask.
Hopefully I will get less leaks and have longer therapy times.
Post Reply Post Reply
To acclimate to the pressure, then move it up slowly over a period of days and observe AHI and type of events.
Also, make note of how you feel with each change.  

For some, it takes time to get used to pressure, so take it slower.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 144 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,066 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question Hose volume Willw 4 219 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 841 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 268 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  First night on CPAP. OSCAR feedback? brainfoggysleeper 7 321 02-24-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: brainfoggysleeper
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 323 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.