Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
RE: Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
Louman, there are a couple of tricks you can try to keep your mask on:

* as an earlier post suggested, put a chin strap on over the mask.

* put medical tape over one of the mask straps, fastening it to the skin of your face on either side. The theory is that if you try to take the mask off, the pull on your skin will wake you up.

* put a cap on over the mask. The cap should have something that ties under your chin. There's something called Papcap that might work, or you can take any soft brimless cap and sew ties onto it.

I hope you find something that works for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose, I will try to do it slowly and getting used to the pressures and see if there is any improvement in a couple of weeks.
My initial sleep study in 2008, I had a starting pressure of 8cm -16cm
I will move it up slowly from 1cm increments to 9cm.
Thanks for your tips.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dormeo,
I will try the medical tape for tonight and attach it to my mask straps, that should wake me up if I attempt to take off my CPAP mask.
Thanks for your other tips, and the PAPcap, I will look into it.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is another product similar to PAPcap. Look up Knightsbridge Dual Band. At least you'd have a choice of 2 styles to consider.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did a bit better last night, I managed to get 5.19 hrs on the CPAP machine.
AHI -1.6
Took off my mask only once while sleeping.
I'm getting there to a better therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent! It may well be that your mind needed a bit of time to acclimate itself to the new experience. It'd be nice if you didn't have to use more stuff on your head!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dormeo,
I did not use a Papcap or cap over my head last night, just made sure that I had a good seal on my Quattro Fx FFM. I also noticed last night that the mask coupler (swivel) to my heated CPAP hose comes loose over with time and slips out, I taped it so it won't slide off with the higher CPAP pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did that too at first.  I found a pair of thick mittens (not gloves, they won't work) and wore them the next night and it worked.  When I got into bed, I also told myself outloud not to take the mask off.  I've noticed that since I switched to a nose pillow instead of a mask many things are better: no strap marks on my face all day, and I haven't pulled it off in my sleep ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Madjalak,
I will have to try the mittens idea, I do have ski winter mittens.
I will try to use my Resmed 30i FFM more whick your nose sits over a cushion, just have to use nasal saline spray, to relieve my dry sinuses.
Will look into

a Nettie pot to clear and lubricate my nasal passages.
I also use a nasal gel called Rhiniris.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm getting frustrated over this taking off my mask in my sleep, even after 30-45 minutes of sleep!
How long does it take to break this bad habit and retrain my subconscious mind to stop doing this?
I'm trying not to get frustrated, and sick of feeling lousy sleep wise!
Maybe I have to accept it and resist getting upset over this bad habit.
Will just go back to bed and connect again and try to use the mask and CPAP therapy longer, even if I
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 0 19 2 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 118 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,143 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.