Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
RE: Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
I'm getting frustrated over this taking off my mask in my sleep, even after 30-45 minutes of sleep!
How long does it take to break this bad habit and retrain my subconscious mind to stop doing this?
I'm trying not to get frustrated, and sick of feeling lousy sleep wise!
Maybe I have to accept it and resist getting upset over this bad habit.
Will just go back to bed and connect again and try to use the mask and CPAP therapy longer, even if I keep taking of my mask at night!
Would like to know if any members of this apnea board were successful in breaking this bad habit of taking the mask off at night?
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, I did have to break that habit on 3 separate machines. The REMstar CPAP, the DreamStation Auto BiPAP, and the ResMed ASV each had me ripping the mask off for some reason for the first week as I recall. Each machine change had a time lag of no therapy between them, and settings needed adjusted before I had found a comfort level with the pressures.

The only way I banished the habit was to get the mask on as soon as I was aware it was off. Then when it happened next, put it back on again.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear you are having lousy nights. Have you tried wearing thick mittens? (Not gloves.)  Have you tried telling yourself aloud at bedtime not to take the mask off? You don't mention any of the posted ideas, so I don't know if you've seen them.  I've noticed that since I switched to a nose pillow instead of a mask many things are better: no strap marks on my face all day, and I haven't pulled it off in my sleep ever since switching to using the nose pillow. Hope you find something that works!  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Louman, what have you tried so far? And to answer your question: yes, many people who took off their masks in their sleep stopped. Once you find a trick that works for you, it may not take long at all before you don't need any tricks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo,
I adjusted my start pressure from 5cm to 7cm and brought down EPR to 2 from 3.
It seems that I'm finding my mask uncomfortable and my Quattro Fx mask hasn't been replaced for a year.
I'm waiting to buy a new mask next month, I can't go to my CPAPstore to get properly fitted because of the covid-19 pandemic.
I have 2 other masks to alternate, the F10 has a poor seal, the F30i can't use very much because I have nasal congestion and dry sinuses, and with allergy season, can't tolerate the flow of air in my nose.
So basically for now the Quattro Fx is my go to mask, but it is getting uncomfortable because the cushion edges are cutting into my skin. I could always get new cushions until I buy a new mask.

Mjadlak, I did try the tape trick and mittens but I get frustrated and still taking of my mask, I find that it's too much bulk with the hands and the tape on my face I can't tolerate it, don't like to have too much touching my face.

SarcasticDave, I do to agree that I have to get the mask on as soon as I'm aware, and put it back on again.

A contributing factor to my sleep apnea and sleep issues that I do peritoneal dialysis and CPAP therapy at the same time. Many dialysis patients have problems sleeping and the extra weight of peritoneal fluid in the abdomen makes the sleep apnea events higher and might affect breathing patterns while sleeping ,thus maybe I feel that I might not be getting enough air pressure from my CPAP machine.
Will ask my nephrologist if that could be the cause of breathing issues while I sleep and maybe that's the reason why that I subconsciously take my CPAP mask off ?
I did ask my sleep doctor and asked him to switch me to a Bi-pap, but he said that I should be ok with the Autoset CPAP. I was scheduled for a sleep study, but the covid-19 pandemic delayed it.

Next plan of action is to research and get a more comfortable mask for my next purchase.
I'm looking at the Resmed F20 or Fisker Paykel Vitara FFM, I can't tolerate the nasal pillows or nasal because I have a hard time keeping my mouth closed, because I'm a mouth breather.

I will persevere, I have to remember that if I take my mask off that have to get the mask on as soon as I'm aware, and put it back on again and keep doing it no matter how many times I do it at night.
I have to try not to be upset about it and get anxious.
It won't be solved overnight, but with persistence I might be able to stop taking my CPAP mask while I sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep at it and best to your success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I had those symptoms and was sometimes taking my mask off in my sleep when I:

- had too low of a pressure (so my body was wanting more air). That happened when my pressure was my prescribed 5. When I upped my pressure to 6 or 6.5, I no longer had that issue.

- my mask was not venting well (so my body was rebreathing my exhaled air). I took notice, and switched to masks/elbows that vent more air out. Ones I had trouble with were P10 and the F20/F30 with quiet elbow, and sometimes the Brevida with the add-on charcoal diffuser thingy. I've not had problems with the F20/F30 older style of elbow, nor the Brevida with that charcoal diffuser removed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best of luck, louman, and I'll be curious whether the nephrologist has any constructive thoughts. I do think you'll take your mask off less and less frequently as time goes by, but it'd sure be nice if that didn't take too long to come to pass.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dormeo,
I'm hoping too that my issue of taking of my mask will not be an issue for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 173 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,138 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 299 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 355 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.