Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
RE: Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
A bit better night last night, I got 4.18 hrs and an AHI of 0.9 events/hr.
I noticed last night that I'm leaving my mask on but disconnecting my CPAP hose in my sleep.
I hooked up again trying not to get frustrated about it..
Eventually with persistence I will sleep longer with my mask on..getting there...
Post Reply Post Reply
Isn't the unconscious mind ingenious? But yes, it does sound like you are getting there. Keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm convinced that removing the mask during sleep is caused by discomfort. either the mask itself is uncomfortable or pressure is too low or high. leaks are disturbing too.

it might be a stretch, but the fact that you disconnected the hose rather than remove the mask could indicate that the mask isn't the problem and pressure is.

in addition to pressure that's too low or high, frequent &/or dramatic pressure changes can be very disturbing.

also, some people are sensitive to resmed's FOT pressure pulses used to differentiate obstructive from central apnea.

usually these kind of things wake us but some people sleep through arousals which can be as disturbing as full awakenings, especially since they are more frequent.

if you haven't already, use oscar to scroll through the last few minutes of each session at a 2 minute view scale looking mostly at flow rate to look for anomolies that might shed some light on why you're unconsciously stopping therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
An update, still taking of my mask at night..avg 3 hrs per night..last nigh only 1hr. find it hard to tolerate CPAP pressures due to seasonal allaergies. GERD bloating..frustrating!
I did order a new Resmed Quatrro Fx mask, my current one is worn out and old and uncomfortable on my face..I think this iis the reason that I take it off at night..it digs in the skin..my Resmed F10 mask hurts the ridge pf my nose and leaks..I can only tolerate wearing the masks for a short time!
Hopefully a new mask will solve the issues of feeling uncomfortable wearing the CPAP mask at night and eventually not taking it off..and getting better CPAP therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck with the new mask. An uncomfortable or poorly fitting mask is definitely a reason people take masks off during the night, so with luck you're on the path to longer usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried the F20 with memory foam? I find it to be the most comfortable of the FFMs, and I like not having to crank it down tight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hydrangea,
I did try the F20 without the memory foam but went back to the quattro fx, heard the reliability of the cushions don't last long..
I always went back to the Quattro Fx when I tried other masks in the past..I've been using it for along time...I regret purchasing the F10 & F20 I found these masks uncomfortable around my face.
With this covid-19 pandemic I can't try or test different masks with my CPAP store technician, one that is comfortable to wear.
The Quattro Fx is my go to mask for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
An update..
I have found one of the reasons why my CPAP hose comes off at night, the coupler of my Resmed F10 mask slides off if I tug the climate air tubing while I sleep, and it drops to the floor while I'm asleep, and I'm not aware of it.
I have taped the mask coupler to my CPAP hose.
I guess when i do pull off the hose coupler for my mask in my sleep, I realize that it came off when I woke up, and slept a couple of hours.
It's an irony now..I keep my mask on but I pull off my CPAP hose.  Sad
My CPAP therapy time has increased to 4-5 hrs.
I also have increased the humidity level to 7 and reduced my EPR to 1 on my Resmed Airsense 10, it makes it more comfortable and helps with my dry mouth & throat.
I also have 0 events of sleep apnea recorded.
I'm hoping in time that it will increase to 6 or more hours.
Haven't received my new Resmed Quattro FX CPAP mask yet, with the more comfortable fit, and the higher humidity levels on my CPAP machine and the EPR of 1 comfortable settings will solve my taking off my mask or hose at night while I sleep.
It has been uncomfortable feeling waking up in the morning with untreated sleep apnea but with time I will feel better when my issue is resolved with compliance of more CPAP therapy time, I will feel a lot better!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's good to hear you're making progress! I hope the new mask will come soon and help you increase your hours of treatment per night. Keep us posted, would you?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I'm anxious to increase my CPAP therapy, as I don't like feeling lethargic and tired because the hours that I did not have my CPAP mask on, want to feel refreshed in the morning, not the opposite.
I have to be patient I guess..until I break this bad habit of removing my CPAP hose in my sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,646 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 87 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Question First night with CPAP (Luna G3) Big Ultima Energy 3 127 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 136 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 234 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 182 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 220 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.