Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
RE: Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
Congrats, and I hope it continues.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going welll...been sleeping 7 to 8 hrs with CPAP machine without taking my mask or hose off while I sleep, just to go to the bathroom at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Louman, what do you credit with being able to turn the corner on mask removal? This is a common problem for new users, and your thoughts on this might help others.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider,
I credit this forum in helping me to solve my removing my mask while I was sleeping, it wasn't easy, I would get frustrated when it happened, I tried not to be upset but put it back on as soon as possible, even if it happened a couple of times at night.
Part of the problem was my mask connector sliding off with the Climateline heated hose, for some reason Resmed are aware of this problem since the S9 CPAP machine introduced the Climateline hose.
I remedied the problem by taping my mask connector to the hose so it doesn't slide off.
I also realized I had large leaks coming out of my mask, causing dry mouth and felt uncomfortable, my subconscious mind did not like this and would wake up realizing that I had taken off my mask or disconnected my CPAP hose.
I also read the mask primer notes on this forum, and adjusted the mask straps lying down instead of sitting.
They key is to have a good fit on the mask, best thing is to get fitted by your CPAP supplier technician, they can recommend what is the best type of mask for your face.
I also turned up the humidity on my CPAP humidifier.
In my situation, some masks have a break-in period, which my Resmed Airfit F10 mask was uncomfortable at first, but eventually it had a good fit as I got used to wearing it.
I also have a spare mask Resmed Quattro Fx which I used when I could not tolerate the Airfit F10, which is a bit bulkier not as light as the F10.
I did have anxiety over taking my CPAP mask at night while sleeping, best thing I was telling myself not to get upset, just put it back on as soon as I can, it went on for 2-3 weeks.
These 2 masks have different mask connections, the F10 pulls off in the middle of the mask from the CPAP hose.
The Quattro Fx pulls off form the bottom, sometimes when I'm half asleep I pull from the bottom when I'm wearing the F10 mask, that's probably why the connector pulls off, but with wear, inside the Climateline CPAP hose loses it's grip on the mask coupler.
Last night, my mask connector slid off my CPAP Climateline heated hose, only realizing when I woke up it was disconnected from the hose.
Time to put new tape around the connector around my hose, will look into another brand of heated CPAP hose so I won't have the problem with the mask connector sliding off from the hose.

Best advice is not to get discouraged but by persevering, you eventually resolve your issue.
Also check out this forum where I got great advice and support for my issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Louman, thank you for this post, which I'm sure will help other people struggling with the same problem. And congrats on your success!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dormeo!
Post Reply Post Reply
Still have some occasional nights that I do take off my mask at night, put it back on as soon as I wake up. Less hours last night about 4 hrs on CPAP machine. Been averaging 7 hrs. per night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you're still doing great. Somehow almost nothing that happens during sleep is truly consistent, so the occasional aberration isn't anything to be worried about, in my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried increasing my starting pressure to 7cm and an EPR of 1, I can't tolerate the pressure, so I set it back to 6cm to start, My avg pressure is 9 for last night, I had a large leak of 104 L/m , my AHI was 0.4 despite the mask seal not being that good.
I'm still having dry mouth due to my mouth breathing.
I live in a upstairs apt at the top of my apt building, on humid summer days, it's hard to sleep comfortably,
I do have a ceiling fan in my bedroom and window A/C running all night in my living room adjacent to my bedroom.
I set my climate air hose to 80 F and humidity level to 3.
I'm not sure how to properly set the humidity on my Resmed Airsense 10 to be comfortable.
Some say to set every setting to Auto: Ramp,  Auto Climate Temp and Auto Humidity, the CPAP machine will automatically adjust to the temp & humidity of the room.
That could be another reason that I'm taking off my mask while I'm sleeping, the dry mouth and congestion sometimes, I also have some dry nasal passages sinusitis, I do put nasal gel to lubricate my nasal passages.
I do get some sinus pain when I wake up in the morning, I'm wondering if its the low pressures or my sinusitis that makes it hard to tolerate the starting CPAP pressures and the cause of taking off my mask at night?
Post Reply Post Reply
Without seeing the data, I'd consider 104 L/min a very large leak and would be significant enough to throw off the accuracy of the therapy during that leak rate. If it was in fact that high, it would be a priority to fix this mask and leak issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 116 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 172 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,132 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 882 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 354 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.