Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
RE: Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night!
Hi Sarcastic Dave,
Will switch to my other mask the Quattro FX tonight to see if I can get a lower leak rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are taking your mask off then the machine will ping a 100 leak rate just before it turns off are you running the latest version of OSCAR as this like Resscan will ignore that really high reading just before the machine turns off, later versions of sleepyhead and early versions of OSCAR would show the 100 leak
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
I've been having a bit of a setback, I did buy a Resmed Airfit F20 full-face mask, I've been taking off my mask while I sleep occasionally for about 2 hrs, trying to control my leak rate, this mask does not leak as much as my other masks.
Other nights I'm getting 7-8 hrs compliance therapy.
I'm trying to loose weight hoping that my sleep apnea will improve a bit, I notice as I'm getting older, my CPAP compliance is not as good.
There are some nights I despise using my CPAP machine, but I know if I don't use it, I will be feeling a lot more tired during the day.
I guess it takes a while to stop bad habits taking off my mask at night, eventually I will stop doing it!
Post Reply Post Reply
As a wise person said: "I did have anxiety over taking my CPAP mask at night while sleeping, best thing I was telling myself not to get upset, just put it back on as soon as I can, it went on for 2-3 weeks."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dormeo,
Thanks for the reminder about being a wise man having anxiety over taking my mask off at night, not to get upset, put it back on as soon as I can...
It's just the fatigued feeling the next day that I have anxiety over thinking that I will not function, but I do, have to get over that way of thinking.
Is it wise to take a short 20 minute nap even with sleep apnea to compensate for sleeping without my mask for a couple of hours?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on SA Therapy now for over two years, and I still find it necessary to take a late morning / early afternoon nap to get me thru the rest of the day. 

No problem with taking my mask off at night, and I can sleep the whole night and get my compliance time in w/o any issues. Every once in a while, I'll go the night w/o gearing up. I see that as a treat and I do enjoy it. 

I have an upcoming appt. with my sleep doctor in mid October. We're gonna have lots to discuss............. Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
"We're gonna have lots to discuss............. "

I don't think my sleep doc ever gave me more than 10 to 15 minutes. was never able to discuss most of the things I went in to discuss so I quit going a couple years ago.

better service here at apnea board!
Post Reply Post Reply
Besides having things to discuss, I have to see him so that Medicare keeps on covering my equipment. He has to sign off on my compliance as I understand it. 

He doesn't give me any more time than anyone else. 15-20 min. tops, seems to be about right. 

The last time I did see him, was in April. He shortened the time of the appt., and came in looking like he had a space suit on. I don't think my appt. lasted more than 5 min. or so.

But yes, you are right, in regards to this fine forum and it's outstanding staff and members. No better care anywhere....... like
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree Big Buy this apnea board is great support..good luck at your appointment in mid-October.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2020, 10:13 AM)louman1961 Wrote: Hi,
I've been having a bit of a setback, I did buy a Resmed Airfit F20 full-face mask, I've been taking off my mask while I sleep occasionally for about 2 hrs, trying to control my leak rate, this mask does not leak as much as my other masks.
Other nights I'm getting 7-8 hrs compliance therapy.
I'm trying to loose weight hoping that my sleep apnea will improve a bit, I notice as I'm getting older, my CPAP compliance is not as good.
There are some nights I despise using my CPAP machine, but I know if I don't use it, I will be feeling a lot more tired during the day.
I guess it takes a while to stop bad habits taking off my mask at night, eventually I will stop doing it!

I wonder if you need to raise your pressure a bit.  With it starting at 6, it may be a bit low.  It could be that your body is saying it wants a stronger pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,630 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 85 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Question First night with CPAP (Luna G3) Big Ultima Energy 3 126 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 130 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 232 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 180 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 219 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.