Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking off mask at sleep
Taking off mask at sleep
Hi, I've been using a CPAP machine for about 6 months now. When I've been able to sleep with it through out the night, the effect on my over all well being has been dramatic. My problem is that I have been developing a habit of taking off the mask in my sleep, resulting in only 2, 5 hours of sleep with the CPAP. I know I'm not the only one with this problem. I read one member who had put up a system that measured the power consumption of his CPAP machine, which would set off an alarm if the consumption was to low (meaning the machine was not working). I think an alarm of some sort would be a great solution, though, I do not have the competences for setting up such a system… If anyone has an idea of how to fix this problem, please do tell me! (And thank you everyone who contributes to these  conversations, helping each other.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Taking off mask at sleep
No easy way to fix this, chin straps, cervical collars, sticky tape, handcuffs. You gotta go out there and see what helps. I'd recommend getting a $50 nightvision camera to see how it all happens. You can search all threads that i started by going to my profile and theres a thread about nightvision cameras with suggestions which ones to take a look at.

Alternatively download OSCAR and upload some of your charts, maybe your setting arent really working for you, hence you take off your mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am also experiencing the same problem. The pressure isn't the problem, it's that the mask won't stop leaking. I have to tighten the straps so tight that it is very painful. I am trying different settings to lower the pressure and still get good results.

I have lowered my IPAP settings and that has helped. 

I have also stopped removing the mask and not putting it back on. 

What I found is that I am in a deep sleep and the mask is either leaking or the straps are painful, so I removed the mask. I didn't really wake up. 

I would forget to put it back on. 

It takes concentration and telling yourself that you must keep the mask on and or put it back on if you remove it.

Lately, I have not been removing it without putting it back on and I have lowered the number of times I remove it at all. 

It is a subconscious determination issue. 

In psychology , the subconscious is the part of the mind that is not currently in focal awareness.

Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
It's been a couple of months now since my message above. And I've managed to ameliorate my time slept with the CPAP. As 3rdmardiv says, it is a determination issue. I believe so too, at least for a part. What I have tried to do to ameliorate is to simply have as a rule for myself, to not allow myself to lie down in my bed without the mask. It still happens that I take off the mask in my sleep though, but it does work better than before. I still believe that some kind of alarm would be a great help for this problem. Surprising that the manufacturers of these machines have not added that functionnality…
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I am also a new user (2 weeks now) and I have posted a few times as well that I feel the same way. While I am still in my insurance compliance period so I have to at least make 4 hours a night I feel the same way. It is not a natural feeling at all..I was a firefighter and pilot and can still say I hate the mask on me at night. I know the good it is doing but it is going to take some time I know. My wife gives me hell because the longest I have made it is 7 hours and then it comes off and I sleep a few more hours without it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP mask sleep deprived pafarrell 36 854 11-28-2019, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Osiris357
  Does anyone else feel a huge relief after taking the mask off after a while? Broomstick 11 646 11-21-2019, 09:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difficulty breathing after taking mask off in morning. Randarino 25 804 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Randarino
Ohmy [CPAP] Doc taking forever to give me new CPAP settings or BiPAP Apnea45 19 713 09-09-2019, 05:05 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Bleep Sleep Dreamport Mask Judy1843 9 663 04-08-2019, 11:51 PM
Last Post: CB91710
  Did in-home sleep study, seeking referral to remote sleep medicine doc (telemedicine) NightOwl42 11 1,020 02-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Stom
  [CPAP] Removing mask during sleep Otil 6 636 12-13-2018, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.