(02-20-2014, 04:36 PM)Zorki1c Wrote: The extension cord tip is an excellent one because most rooms don't have as many outlets. I made one big time error on our trip to Russia. I also took along a plug strip so I could plug in several items at once. I knew the grid over there is 220V but figured the strip wouldn't care since all it does is carry current. Well it did because there was a fuse of some sort in it.. First time I plugged it in there was a POP! and a small cloud of smoke and the strip was toast. Wasn't as smart as I thought I was.
You blew the MOV. Metal Oxide Varistor used as surge protection.