Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tale of Two Masks: The Good and the Bad
Tale of Two Masks: The Good and the Bad
[attachment=6075][attachment=6074]Attached are two charts. One good (Dreamwear nasal mask) and one bad (Dreamwear full face mask).

I never seem to get a great result with the FFM (usually 5 to 10 AHI). I always get a good result with the nasal mask, but can't always wear it due to idiopathic rhinitis. 

I'm pretty new to this. Should I seek a new kind of FFM for the nights I need to wear one? I tried to Amara View during "tryouts" with my DME but thought the other one was much more comfortable. But if it doesn't work...no use sticking with the Dreamwear FFM.

Opinions?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tale of Two Masks: The Good and the Bad
A full face mask has more volume and the CPAP may be less responsive in addressing apnea than with nasal therapy, however this is pretty extreme. I normally would suggest increasing pressure up to 2-cm for a FFM. In this case, that might solve the problem. The median pressure with the FFM was 11.42 and the pressure was at the maximum a significant part of the night. With nasal therapy the median was 9.24 and with the 95% pressure hitting 12 cm several times, I think even here, a little more room may be in order. I think your limitation on pressure at 12 caused this problem, and would change it to 14 or more with the FFM.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
By chance were you wearing a cervical collar with the nasal mask and not with the FFM?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think Sleeprider has a good point about the differences between the two.

Saw you did change mask type according to chart.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice. I haven't messed with the doctor's prescription as yet but she based it on the early successes with the nasal mask, so the adjustment makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2018, 06:46 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: By chance were you wearing a cervical collar with the nasal mask and not with the FFM?

Have not tried one! Maybe it would help with the FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2018, 07:43 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Saw you did change mask type according to chart.

Yes, as noted, I like the nasal much better and also have had much better therapy. But need a better FFM mask for times my nasal congestion is untreatable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello all, 

[attachment=6153][attachment=6154]Here is another Nasal Cushion vs Full Face Mask pair.

As you can see, last night with the FFM was "leak-o-rama" and I need to figure out how to get that FFM to fit better. Or try another.

Wondering if the leaks correlate with poor control of OA?

Still working on getting nasal congestion under control. Am taking Allegra daily; threw away full bottle of Flonase and trying Nasonex instead, hoping one steroid formulation may be better than another. When I take Afrin, my nose clears up COMPLETELY but as well all know, taking Afrin daily is a big no-no.

Thanks for any comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you experience high leakage then the machine cannot effectively deliver pressure to overcome OA. So yes.

Also, during high leakage the machine may not record OA. So realistically, the numbers may be inaccurate in Sleepyhead
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks JesseLee. I will do what I can to get the leaks  under control, or as noted, see if I can get a new FFM to try. 

As you can see on the chart, I did take Sleepriders advice and increased by 2 my upper auto range limit to 14. Tonight my nose is clear enough to return to the nasal cushion. 

I'm also trying a cervical collar tonight to see if that will make a positive difference with that mask, which on a good night for me gets AHI to around 2. I think my pillow has been a bit too high and possibly creating a bit of a chin tuck, so will play with the collar and a flatter pillow and see what happens. 

There are days I realize I am messing with too many variables to draw valid conclusions!

THANKS again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 73 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 349 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 221 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.