Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!!
Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!!
I have been on VPAP for 5 years now and 3 or 4 years ago had one incident where I became fully awake as I was tearing the mask off my head. It only happened the once.

Just the other night, however, I became semi-awake having the feeling that I had something attached to my face that was blowing air at me. For some reason, I thought that the blower was integrally attached to my face. For some reason, it seemed important to me to get the blower turned off. I searched all over my mask and could not find any switch with which to turn it off. I did find a "thick cable" attached to the mask and started following it back to where it was plugged in to the wall. (You can probably see where this is going.) I was having to go too far along the "cable" and finally decided to just jerk it out of the wall socket using the "cable".

I finally became more awake and realized that I had pulled the whole machine off and onto the floor. I got the machine turned off and removed my mask and picked up my poor machine. Luckily my PAP sits on a surface that is only 4 inches above a carpeted floor. Also as luck would have it, this happened after 4 or 5 hours of sleep so the humidifier was nowhere close to being full and the machine just tipped. It did not even roll to vertical. I put everything back in it's proper place and masked up and turned it on. Everything has been working fine ever since.

I guess I do some weird things when I am half asleep but I never expected anything this weird. Thank goodness I did not fry my VPAP.

Please do not try this at home. It requires a certified "Lucky Idiot" to do this without severely damaging your CPAP.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Talk About Tearing Your Mask Off!!!
Unsure Almost like a "night terror" dream, where you are semi awake.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PaytonA,
It’s a good thing your machine didn’t have far to fall and that you didn’t have a full chamber of water.
Hopefully, all is well.
WOW, you must have had one heck of a bad dream.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2015, 06:37 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Unsure Almost like a "night terror" dream, where you are semi awake.
Been there; done that.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ha ha cute story. Glad your machine is okay!!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
u have been assimilated.....
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Early in my APAP saga, a long, long time ago (4 or 5 months), I pulled my A10 Autosense off the bedside table. Yikes! Fortunately, it wedged between the table and the bed. The only reason I knew was the lack of air blowing into my lungs. The A10 had shut down! I pondered that the water in the humidity tank had gone somewhere it shouldn't and shut the machine down. I hastily turned the light on removed the tank and dried everything off. After re-inserting the tank, everything was fine. Thank goodness. I can't sleep without my breathing machine! Wink

I could also tell you how I had a bad dream: thinking the alarm had gone off and even turning it off, waking up and getting ready for work only to find that it was only 0100..... But I will save that for another day.

fos
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once I woke up and my mask was off and hanging up in it's usual daytime spot, machine still on. Go figure. Only happened once.
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
...glad the machine wasn't sitting on a shelf over your head!

=X.X=
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Vivid dreams... hooked up to a hose? Sounds like my sleep study. Had major dreams about the hose and all, but in the end, I felt they were good dreams... Not evil, but just there.
I have had many bad nights, bad evil dreams, one reason I finally went for a sleep study. Still had some vivid dream during the study, but they were good. I was awakened at the end feeling the best I have in YEARS. We all have vivd dreams from time to time, I am not going to worry about them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,954 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Anyone talk in their sleep? gm125 1 313 12-04-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Stuck on REM simplified example no much talk sleepyzzz 4 634 07-31-2023, 03:28 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,216 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  DreamStation 2 hose tearing easily K2write 6 847 08-15-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: damplc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.