Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tanks that can't hold their water
Tanks that can't hold their water
So....   after several years (9?) on my original CPAP machine my doctor had me do a new sleep study.  (That's a whole other story on its own for another time)   As a result of the study, and other things, he ordered a new DreamStation for me to use.

All seemed to go well at first.  I had my concerns over the small size of the water tank, but it seemed to hold enough water for a full night so, OK, I just go with it.

Early on, when I took it out to refill at night, I noticed what I thought was condensation on the bottom of the metal plate that fits over the heating plate.  I figured it was just a normal thing I would have to get used to as part of the new machine.   

After a month or so the amount of water seemed to increase.  Finally I came to the realization this was more than just condensation and the tank was actually leaking so I called my DME and was told that they could not replace it since 1) it was only covered by Medicare once each 6 months and 2) I had it more than 30 days.    Well, I did not accept that response, ultimately I was given an new tank (not sure if they were going to charge me for it or if it was a warranty replacement - they are VERY slow about processing the billing).

First night with the new tank it ran out of water and I awoke to the burning smell of an empty tank.  Adjusted the humidifier temp down a notch, and second night there was just enough water to make it through the night, but there was that "condensation" on the bottom of the tank again.

This morning (5th or 6th night with new tank) I was awakened about 3 am with that burning smell, an empty water tank, and water clearly had leaked out and was pooled around the bottom of the humidifier.

I've searched to see if there are any posts about a similar issue, but have not found any.  So, if anyone has had a similar experience I'd like to know if this was a common or known issue with the Dreamstation humidifier.  

Have I mentioned that I hate my DME?  I seriously doubt they will be any help, and am dreading the thought of calling them back to ask for another water tank so soon.

Thanks for reading this.

Remo
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tanks that can't hold their water
I've had a DreamStation Auto BPAP in 2017. Used this BPAP for a week and it sat until I was given directions on how to return it. My Central Apnea didn't play well with it.

Secondly, I'm hearing more reports of DreamStation's with poor build quality.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe with the news from this link you may want to go with ResMed. 

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-1-problem
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2021, 10:40 AM)Remo Wrote: Have I mentioned that I hate my DME?  I seriously doubt they will be any help, and am dreading the thought of calling them back to ask for another water tank so soon

Well, you will have to just bite the bullet and call them. I would also call Respironics and tell them what's going on. It sounds like there's a bad batch of water tanks out there.

I wouldn't go into all the details you mentioned. Just tell them that you know it leaks because it gets wet underneath the tank and the tank runs out of water when that happens.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will never have condensation on the outside of the water chamber unless you fill it with ice water.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a leaking tank on my ResMed. They sell two types...we had quite a talk here.

My take--water here in Toronto is nasty. I was using city water, and not distilled water due to convenience and cost.

What I bought is a tank that does not say "distilled water only"....that's a ResMed tank. I have no experience with your make. My cost was about $50 Cdn.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I see another post indicating that DreamStation sales are on hold, and speculating that a recall may be forthcoming.
Since mine is a rental (as required by Medicare or the DME, I'm not sure which) that may impact my situation.   

FYI, a benevolent member of the forum is sending me his spare water chamber for me to try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just call me Negative Ned, I'd not hold my breath on a recall. That would cost Philips Respironics money.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2021, 06:34 PM)Remo Wrote: Since mine is a rental (as required by Medicare or the DME, I'm not sure which) that may impact my situation. 

Return it and tell them you're not happy with the machine. Call some other DME's first and see if they can supply you with a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset. Make sure to get that exact model as they are fond of making other machines with similar names.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remo I delayed a long time after asking advice here on "what machine should I buy"

I regret that.

I finally bought the machine recommended here. ResMed S10 autoset "for her" or whatever the name is. Then I set it up following recommendations here. it took about a month...I started to wake up feeling refreshed, sometimes. I felt better.

I've used cpap for over 30 years. During that time I felt refreshed maybe 5 nights....since I changed to the S10 I feel much better. Even my Garmin watch shows it. Deep sleep has gone from less than 30 minutes in a night to over 2 hours almost every night.

Key is I feel better.

I've had Respironics machines. I bought 2 of them. My thought.....the sleep-doc-from-h_ll and the DME supplier make more money with Respironics. They sure never followed up to see how I was doing. I was compliant. Machine was on for at least 4 hours a night. My AHI was under 5. Good job Doc. Sad

I don't trust the medical system to look after my care. I need to be my own advocate and when I am I feel genuinely better.

I hope this helps. That is my experience.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.