Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tap vs distilled water
RE: Tap vs distilled water
FWIW I choose to use distilled water. The well water we have is rather hard. Sediment is continually being filtered by whole house water filter and the water heater has white sediment on the bottom of the tank. Maybe calcium or lime, but not certain.

But IMO isn't it your choice what to use? Supposed best practice is use distilled but if your tap water is good it shouldn't hurt.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought the only reason to use distilled water was because it doesn't have the minerals in it that tap, well or bottled water might have... that's the only reason that I use it. Over time it was my understanding that minerals might build up in the machine if distilled water isn't used.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2017, 12:44 PM)Jerzasnore Wrote: I thought the only reason to use distilled water was because it doesn't have the minerals in it that tap, well or bottled water might have...  that's the only reason that I use it.  Over time it was my understanding that minerals might build up in the machine if distilled water isn't used.

That is correct. There is no reason to use distilled water except to avoid mineral deposits in the reservoir. Using potable tap water whether from a municipal system or a well will not increase any risk of infection. Distilled water purchased at supermarkets is not sterile.  (The only commercially available sterile water is water for injection or irrigation which costs $8-20 per liter.) The use of sterile water would be pointless. You are pouring into a non-sterile humidifier and then your machine will blow non-sterile air across it (The inlet filter on your machine will not remove many bacteria and the internal components of the machine are not sterile). Also, there are environmental bacteria that will grow in distilled water. Chlorinated drinking water is more effective at inhibiting the growth of  bacteria.  Additionally, upon opening a container of sterile water it will become contaminated and bacteria will begin growing in it.

If you use tap water there is no risk of mineral deposits in the machine itself given the direction of airflow. The deposits will accumulate primarily in the the reservoir and are easily removed with a mixture of vinegar and water. If there is any aerosolization some mineral deposits may appear in the hose as well.

I am a microbiologist and have used well water for extended periods. I now use distilled water simply because I prefer it to dealing with hard water deposits in the reservoir.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Melman, So your saying if I have no problems with my pipes and the city water is chlorinated, it's safer than distilled water?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla Signature Wrote:Your not alone!  Famous people with Sleep Apnea:  .  .  . John Candy  .  .  .

Walla Walla, John Candy may have had sleep apnea but he died in 1994.  I think it's safe to say he's over it by now.   Whistle
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
John Candy is bigger than death.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape, OK all the dead guys are gone. Wink
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2017, 02:09 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Melman, So your saying if I have no problems with my pipes and the city water is chlorinated, it's safer than distilled water?
They are equally safe. Chlorination inhibits microbial growth but the bacteria that will grow in distilled water not pathogenic and will not grow to high numbers. The only real issue is the mineral content.

EDIT: I am quite comfortable with the safety of well water which is neither chlorinated or distilled.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Melman, Thanks! You just saved me some money.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
At $0.87/gal switching from distilled water would not save me much. I only use a little over a gallon a  month. I prefer that to cleaning the mineral deposits from my reservoir.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,086 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 152 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 198 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,931 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,520 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 240 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.