Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taping Lips - is it safe
Taping Lips - is it safe
Hi Guys,

I am five days into my therapy and need some advice.  I started with the Resmed P10 mask and loved it.  In the course of a few days I found that my mouth would open causing large leaks, etc.  I went back to the DME and they gave me a Resmed F10, I have tried adjusting it and everything else, I can't get the thing to seal.  So, I went back to the P10, I used the Listerene Breath Strips and they worked part of the time however was still having my mouth open at times.  Last night I used the breath strips plus taped my lips as well. No leaks, AHI of 0.26, problem solved.

I researched taping lips etc. and found stories of power outages and other interruptions and the threat of suffocation.  I like my new therapy, I am feeling great but I don't want to wake up dead!  Is it possible to suffocate by taping your lips?  Thanks

Mark

Here is data with lip taping
[Image: BCjD2vSh.png]

Here is data without lip taping 
[Image: zNd3RfR.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taping Lips - is it safe
Without question taping of lips is one of if not the most controversial of the techniques to manage "mouth breathing".
Possible yes. Likely no. It is possible for you to suffocate with a pillow (Not a mask) over your head. Likely -- no.

Remember ALL PAP masks have vents to allow co2 to be flushed.

Test it

I regularly use P10 nasal pillows mask plus taping my lips to control my mouth breathing.

Tape you lips put on your xpap
All is good
Now turn it off.
Can you breathe?
Can you remove the mask and tape?

Ok. Take it a step further.
Repeat the above but after you are asleep have your partner turn off your PAP.

What happened.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great advice thanks, should have figured the solution out myself!!

Fred, did you see what happened to my CA's?  Any correlation?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your CAs may be correlated to the 1cmH2O increase in your IPAP which was driven by your change in PS from 3 to 4. Change your PS to 3

Keep an eye on that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good catch Fred. Silversnore, if you did not execute that change in PS, it may have been initiated by the DME remotely. Since your results have been proven with PS at 3.0 you may want to leave a message with your doctor that the lower PS is more effective for you, and that the prescription should be revised. This will prevent the DME from making changes again. Alternatively turn the machine on Airplane mode.

tom
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, I made the changes based on your recommendation.  I talked to my DMP and told them I changed the machine and they were fine with it.  they did ask
why and I told them about an apnea guru in Australia, haha

PS I  have cchanged my profile the other day for reflect the change
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Are the Replacements Safe Keesh23 0 170 02-02-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Keesh23
  An interesting-ish video about mouth taping PaulaO2 0 365 01-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Skin treatment for mouth taping? GaspForAir 2 1,245 09-25-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: edfreeman
  Mouth Taping Supplies - UK OwenTrantor 1 401 08-14-2023, 06:37 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 766 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  New to CPAP. Mouth taping causes multiple rapid OA events bluegrey 4 916 01-23-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: mesenteria
  NYT Article on Mouth Taping -- Scam or Not? Lucid 11 2,888 11-19-2022, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.