Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taping, What's involved
Taping, What's involved
As I seek to improve my sleep experience with xPAP I wonder if I mouth breathe at times. Taping has been mentioned by many members. I'd like to experiment to see if it makes a difference. So what do you 'tapers' do? What works for you. Do I use Chin Up strips or do I create my own?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taping, What's involved
Keep it simple. The purpose of taping is to keep the PAP air from escaping your mouth, not to keep your jaw/mouth closed. Tape your lips. When done you should be able to open your mouth and pull the tape off with rthe opening of your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Holden

Use 3M Micropore Tape.  It is inexpensive and gentle and you can easily open our mouth if you have to.  However, it works well and keeps its seal all night.  See this site for guidance:  <link to askthedentist removed>
Look under the Sleep tab, then Natural Sleep Aids.  It will be the first post.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Holden, I use a chin strap which stops the majority of the leaks but then also add tape which stops them almost completely. I use a tape similar to RWhipkkey.

[Image: AO9Ro1Yt.jpg]
It can be found online at a number of sources or some local drug stores may carry it. Comes off in the morning with no pain or trouble and like bonjour mentioned if you have to open your mouth your jaw is strong enough to break the seal of the tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a soft cervical collar which works when I side sleep. I think however that I might mouth breathe when supine so the tape (and how to apply it might sove that problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
3M micropore. 1" x 1" should suffice to keep lips together, but not completely seal the whole mouth (use the minimum possible). Leave some extras at the 2 ends to fold over so you now have tabs for easy removal. If you drink heavily, take medication, etc, that affects your sleep (e.g. knocks you out), use a chin strap. JM2C.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting-ish video about mouth taping PaulaO2 0 365 01-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Skin treatment for mouth taping? GaspForAir 2 1,246 09-25-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: edfreeman
  Mouth Taping Supplies - UK OwenTrantor 1 402 08-14-2023, 06:37 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  New to CPAP. Mouth taping causes multiple rapid OA events bluegrey 4 919 01-23-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: mesenteria
  NYT Article on Mouth Taping -- Scam or Not? Lucid 11 2,890 11-19-2022, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Leak rate issue while taping lisp shut tight. Phil7 2 630 09-03-2022, 12:24 AM
Last Post: clownbell
  have you been able to effectively use nasal mask without mouth taping or chin strap? theredheadsaid 6 1,055 08-19-2022, 02:27 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.