Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user looking for guidance.
RE: New user looking for guidance.
Is it just that your mouth is dry when you wake up? Or does the dry feeling (or anything else about the leaks) wake you up during the night? If it's the former, you can decide how much this bothers you. If it's the latter, I do think you'll want to see what you can do to reduce the leaks.

Is the tape loose anywhere when you're done with the night? Is it tape that has a slit in it (e.g., as Somnifix does)?

Some straps tend to pull the jaw back, which can be counterprorductive. If that's happening with yours, you might try the Knightsbridge Dual strap, which pulls up, not back.

Also, you might start practicing how you place your tongue. Try putting the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth. Then position the main part of your tongue up against your upper palate. Finally, give a little suck or swallow to create a bit of suction. You should now be able to open your mouth while breathing entirely through your nose. Practice this during the day, and see if you can get it grooved in deeply enough to help while you are asleep at night. For some people, this is really all it takes to avoid mouth leaks.

How did you like, or not like, the EPR?

Might you try turning the ramp off? Keep it on if you really like it, but I would at least recommend resetting the ramp minimum to 7.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are my last 3 nights.

I had noticed that I was hitting the upper limit quite frequently so I upped my max pressure.

I have been using a chinstrap and discomfort from mouth breathing has largely gone now.

I have been noticing that I am still sleepy during the day sometimes and  I'm wondering if this could be some kind of rebound due to sleeping poorly for so many years (I'm 43) the complete exhaustion I used to have is gone.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad the mouth-leak problem has abated. You might be working through a long-term sleep deficit, but I'm inclined to think that you're having a lot of mini-arousals, if those CAs continue to show the signs of being post-arousal.

How to address those? That's the million-dollar question, and I don't think anyone has the answer. In your case, since you're fairly new to all this, you may still see improvement as you continue to get used to sleeping with the machine and mask.

You can also try to improve sleep through following the standard advice:

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.

Keep us posted, would you?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 304 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Looking for some pressure guidance lavenderlate 1 137 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 168 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,383 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 6 498 01-17-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [Treatment] UARS With BiPAP - Looking for Some Guidance Sleepy541 2 414 01-07-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepy541
  Programme change guidance to eliminate apneas FijiFarmer 1 245 01-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.