Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS Proof - Resmed Airlink Nasal Cannula
UARS Proof - Resmed Airlink Nasal Cannula
This is a nights sleep (without CPAP), as measured by nasal cannula using my Resmed Airlink sleep unit that I purchased myself outright to measure what the hell is going on whenever I want and also so I can experiment with curing my SDB by being able to test potential remedies and accurately measure nasal flow by cannula. 

I am a typical low/zero AHI but high RDI case and have previously had many home sleep studies, but never a lab study. I'm slim, healthy. However I do have a significant underbite and forward head posture..

I thought you lot would appreciate a screenshot of the flow rate - the effort sensor wasn't tight enough this particular night and there's not much to show with o2 or heart rate so I have excluded these to primarily demonstrate the flow limited breathing.

The top section is a 5 minute window of my breathing. The bottom shows the entire night.

See the juicy green flow limitation all night long. You can see in the blue flow rate graph at the bottom where my breathing is more variable - this is the part of my sleep where CPAP cannot help sufficiently and where I'm continually aroused (EEG or awake). This is likely why you see short sections of no flow limited breathing during these variable sections - when I've been aroused either by EEG or actually awake briefly before heading straight back to flow limitation sleep land.

[Image: Screenshot-1.png]
I ruled out my nasal passages by using a 3" Alaxo nasal stent after 5 months of steroid nasal spray which has improved my nasal breathing - this ultimately made no difference though. My nasal passages are absolutely fine.

I have a 6" Alaxo soft palate stent arriving shortly which I will be testing in both positions - the soft palate position and if that doesn't alleviate it, I will be stenting further below at the toungue base position, as per the clinicians manual. I suspect I may have to stent the tounge base due to my underbite. This is likely my whole problem, in my opinion. 

I will only be running another test once the 6" stent arrives, as sleeping without my CPAP absolutely destroys me the next day.

Why isn't CPAP working for me? Because during REM especially (but also during other stages) it cannot eliminate flow limitations well enough causing severe sleep fragmentation. CPAP does well controllong flow limits throughout the rest of my sleep, so I'm well rested in respect to tiredness - but the effect it's having on my memory, cognition, blood pressure, waking up sweating/heart pumping during REM etc is wrecking me.

I want this fixed. CPAP for me, unfortunately, is not the complete answer.

I am hoping with the Alaxo 6" then CPAP may work as it ought to, as I have no issue using CPAP if it's treating all sleep stages effectively.

Anyway I'm babbling.

* I will update this thread when I have used the Airlink on the 6" Alaxo in the soft palate position. I have been promised it will arrive within 2 weeks from the USA distributor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 15 478 Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,143 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,378 04-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,189 04-16-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  CPAP Not Helping... Possible UARS?? TiredTim 0 166 04-02-2024, 05:24 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Covid Induced CA (Potentially) + UARS, Looking for Help with ASV Settings zfaulk 25 2,296 04-02-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: subconscious
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 204 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.